Sticky values...

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Sticky values...

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

Please can we have the ability to make the data, settings for any field sticky?

I dive with the same wetsuit/tanks/gear every day, i don't want to enter it each time.
Same if i go on a dive trip. The dive shop, boat, country, island, etc. is the same for the next week or two...
I always dive in the Sea, so i want it to always be salty, and 0m altitude...
If i buy some new gear or change my setup, i just want to change what i'd set before to the new setting, and have that be the new sticky value...

The worst part of using this software is typing in and entering the same stuff over and over and over and over again.
Some people don't notice it if they only enter a few dives, or enter it every evening... But as soon as you've more than a few dives to enter details for, it become tedious, and i often just don't bother... doh.

I'd like to be able to enter some details into a filed, then for that field, tell it that i want it to be sticky, to always be this value going forward... And also with DL asking if i want this value to copy to the 5 other dives that come after it, that i'd downloaded with this one...

Some values obviously don't want to be sticky... so we just don't set them.

I've raised this before a long time ago, and templates just doesn't work right at all. It isn't what we need.
I just want to be able to set things once, and change them as and when needed at a later date...

This would make using Diving Log so, so, so much easier!!!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Sticky values...

Post by divinglog »

This functionality is available for a very long time and called logbook templates. You create a template and fill everything that stays the same with a single mouse click. You should take a look at the help section where this is explained:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=1796

A second way it batch editing in the table editor, where you can select multiple fields accross dives, enter the data and it will be filled in all selected fields automatically. Very easy if you do not want to create a template for just some data.