Download Problem with Aladin Pro Ultra

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
Falk

Download Problem with Aladin Pro Ultra

Post by Falk »

Hello everybody,

I just build a second interface for my good, old Aladin Pro Ultra. The first one I build 20 years ago, connected to the RS232 port. The new one connects to a USB-UART(LVTTL 3,3V) cable. I can measure clean signals at the Aladin pin. I can repeatedly receive identical data from the Aladin using the terminal programm hterm, when entering logbook mode. So I assume, the transmission is reliable. But Diving Log 5.0 will not download :x . I can connect the Aladin, this is recognized by the green status field. When entering logbook mode, the progress bar fills up. But then it seems, that Diving log 5.0 does not recognize the end of the transfer? It goes back to waiting for transfer. Any ideas?

Regards
Falk
Error1.png
Error1.png (17.03 KiB) Viewed 10981 times
Error2.png
Error2.png (17.19 KiB) Viewed 10981 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Download Problem with Aladin Pro Ultra

Post by divinglog »

Hi Falk

Can you try it with Diving Log 6.0? It uses libdivecomputer for downloading, so maybe that works better than my own 5.0 download code.

Kind regards,
Sven
Falk

Post by Falk »

Hello Sven,

the creator himself! I will try this. But what ist the condition in Diving Log 5.0 to end the transfer? I mean, the interface is rather simple, its just a high impedance buffer. There are no additional pull resistors or any other tricks in all circuits in the internet. I tried using the OOOOLD Datatrak DOS software in a DOSbox, but a similar behaviour there! It reports transmission errors and data corruption due to possible bad contacts. But Iam not sure if the virtual COM Port works as expected, since the status window of DOSbox shows strange COM port settings with 5 data bits ?!? Stay tuned, I will get back to you soon.

Regards
Falk
Falk

Post by Falk »

BINGO! It works with Diving Log 6.0 !!! Yeah! Hmm, I guess the development of Diving Log 5.0 is frozen, so a further investigation of the problem is pointless?!? Diving Log 6.0 look better anyway, so why bother.

Regards
Falk
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Falk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 16:27 Hello Sven,

the creator himself! I will try this. But what ist the condition in Diving Log 5.0 to end the transfer? I mean, the interface is rather simple, its just a high impedance buffer. There are no additional pull resistors or any other tricks in all circuits in the internet. I tried using the OOOOLD Datatrak DOS software in a DOSbox, but a similar behaviour there! It reports transmission errors and data corruption due to possible bad contacts. But Iam not sure if the virtual COM Port works as expected, since the status window of DOSbox shows strange COM port settings with 5 data bits ?!? Stay tuned, I will get back to you soon.

Regards
Falk
Good to hear that version 6.0 works, so I think this is the way to go. Still strange that 5.0 worked with the old interface, but not now. I've checked the old 5.0 code and it simply counts the number of bytes received and once 2048 bytes were received, the download completes and parses the data. So I guess that somehow at least one byte is missing, so the end event never triggers.
Falk

Post by Falk »

Hi,

there is a little misunderstanding. The old interfache worked with the old Datatalk and Datatrak software from UWATEC, not diving log 5.0! But when the software simply counts the bytes, it MUST work, since I can receive them with hterm. And after the real data, it receives 0, which come from the 128Hz square wave, that is output before and after the data transmission.
So there should be no lack of incomming data! See attatchment. Before and after this block, only 0x00 is received. The block is 2051 bytes, repeatable all the time.

Regards
Falk
Aladin_dump.txt
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, looks complete. Not sure why it's not working, but version 5.0 is unfortunately not in development anymore. So the old interface didn't worked either with 5.0? I had such an RS232 interface myself years ago and it worked for me.