sending data to buddies

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
jorgenhammer79

sending data to buddies

Post by jorgenhammer79 »

Hello.

Thanks for an good diving log!
Ive bought the pc versjon, and the apple version. Ive started using it and found it good. Ive reccomended it to several friends, and we have started using it.

There is a few things i dont find in the FAQ/Forums.
1 there SHOULD be a way to send atleast ONE (minimized) picture attached to each dive to the ipad.. I know its not possible now, but it would "lift" the log alot if it could be possible to show dives, and a few pictures from the ipad/iphone.
2. Ive made a "profile" at the Diving Log. But this SHOULD be possible to share with my buddies.
3. It should be possible to share - og connect dives with buddies. altso later on - share pictures.
4 a facebook addon - alot of the problems with pictures and sharing of data would be using functions already in facebook..
5 sharing dive sites.
6 pics for diving sites.

Ive read at the forums and have found answers to some of my questions, but i would like to get help with the above questions - or if its not possible at the current version, maybe some of it could be implemented later?
first thing - sharing dive locations/dives/profile with buddies.
Later transferring pictures to the ipad

Thanks for a good and useful product!
-Jorgen Hammer
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: sending data to buddies

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jorgen

Thank you for your suggestions!

1) This is a good idea and compromise regarding the logbook file size
2) Do you mean a dive profile from the dive computer?
3) and 4) There is a 3rd party tool for sharing dives on Facebook
6) You can add a picture to dive sites in the "Map" tab in the dive site details

Kind regards,
Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Currently the Facebook profile uploader is broken (changed API on Facebook). I am swamped but will try to get this updated in the next week or two.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
jorgenhammer79

Post by jorgenhammer79 »

Havent tried the facebook profile uploader, will do later. :)

About nr 2. No, i meant the "user information" that is found in the Dive Log, both pc version and Ipad version.
This is kinda "user data", and should be able to send to my buddies as "this is jorgen hammer", and they could add it into their buddy information.
Would be interesting to have my usual buddies with their personal, medical and sertifications and so on in MY diving log.

About nr 3,
When ive been out ive added the divesite from the latest dive, and ive written comments and everything. Maybe uploaded the dive profile from my computer. i also add the diving buddy to the diving log. Then it should be possible to send this information to OTHER users. Also, it would be great to be able to "connect" dives. i dont think its nessecary to send my diving computers profile for this dive, as it would be different from my buddy, but it could be an option to do that.

But if i was diving somewhere with YOU, i could add you as buddy, and then use the option "link data with buddy", and then send it to YOU. YOU then get an overview of the data im sending, and an option "accept" or "discard".
Then YOUR divinglog gets the location and the information ive added about the dive - but has added ME as buddy.

Now you use the same wifi to update pc/ipad - but you need to send the data with something else as most often you dont stay ing the same wifi as your buddy in the diving boat, (or the next day as is when i fix this stuff)... So thats where the idea with facebook came.. If you already shares this with facebook you can maybe use THAT as an "carrier"?
Or do you need to use mail?

i dont program anything, and dont know whats possible, or how stuff is done.. BUT i realise this wish maybe is a "bit much" to send all information about one or more dives.. But atleast it would be great to "link" a buddy to a dive, and then be able to send him location, and a few lines as comments. Then it could appear as "buddys comments for this dive".

Just now found the "pic of dive site", great!!! also found the "signature" from buddy.. :) Great! :)
jorgenhammer79

Post by jorgenhammer79 »

I realise that maybe the best way for this is to have an server where you connect to. i thought to maybe use facebook as that server?

Anyway, if i make a divesite, i could have the option "share divesite and comments" with Buddies or with buddies AND "everyone".

then you could use dive log as an planner too, where you download everyone elses dive sites with comments in an area?
But that would be alot of work, including an server.. But maybe something so "sell" the diving log with?

well, that was just me ranting away! ;) Would be great to see some of the ideas in the log, but its already a great product i plan to use! Will try the facebook addon too.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

These sharing options would require defenitely a server infrastructure (Facebook is not suitable for this). So this isn't something that's coming in the near future but it's not impossible. In the meantime you can exchange data locally between logbooks with the "Diving Log" import function.