WP7 : How many characters in diving site comment ?

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Deckard

WP7 : How many characters in diving site comment ?

Post by Deckard »

Hello,

I've writen a long comment about a diving site on my W8 PC, but my text is cut when I sync it on my WP7. My text is 3006 characters long without spaces and 3670 with spaces. 535 or 643 characters (without/with) are missing.

Is this a bug or is there a limit to text length ?

If it's not possible to change the limit, I will short my text :)

Thx in advance
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: WP7 : How many characters in diving site comment ?

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Interesting! I've checked the SQLite documentation and there is no limit for text sizes. Then I've created a large Lorem ipsum text with 3900 characters and exported it to Windows Phone. I've checked the SQLite database directly and indeed, all characters are there.

I've downloaded it onto my Windows Phone 8 into the upcoming WP8 version of Diving Log and the text was complete. Then I've downloaded it into the WP7 app running on my 8 phone and the text was complete. As final test, I've downloaded it onto my Windows Phone 7 device and the text was cut. I've found the answer here, where it says
No UIElement can be larger than 2048 pixels in either direction (height or width). Any content which would be displayed beyond this area isn't displayed.
So unfortunately this seems to be a limitation of WP7. Interestingly the WP7 app running on a WP8 device doesn't have this limitation either. So the text isn't lost, it's just not displayed.
Deckard

Re: WP7 : How many characters in diving site comment ?

Post by Deckard »

divinglog wrote:Hi

Interesting!

So unfortunately this seems to be a limitation of WP7. Interestingly the WP7 app running on a WP8 device doesn't have this limitation either. So the text isn't lost, it's just not displayed.
OK, thanks again :) I keep all my text for my future WP8, maybe this summer :) Have a good week end