Dive sites don't have town/country?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
jonnythan

Dive sites don't have town/country?

Post by jonnythan »

The dive log entries have space for city and country. Why do dive site entries not have this? It seems logical, as dive sites don't move to different cities...
jonnythan

Re: Dive sites don't have town/country?

Post by jonnythan »

In a somewhat related vein, when I go to old dives and select the city from the dropdown, the dive site changes from linked to pencil. I have to go back and change the dive site back to the proper one.

I get the feeling I'm operating the program rather differently than the program expects to be operated.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Countries, cities and dive sites have currently some kind of "soft linking" in Diving Log. When you have a new dive with emtpy location fields and you select an existing dive site, country and city is automatically filled in based on the last dive you've used that site. When you've already selected country and city, the entries should not change when you select the dive site.

Additionally, there are 2 ways to enter the location data: right into the logbook window without additional data, the item gets a pencil icon. When you select an item from the dropdown list with a chain icon, it is a linked item from the detailed windows with additional data.

The dropdown lists auto populate, so when you are not using unlinked items anymore, the pencil items will disappear you and you have only linked items.

Kind regards,
Sven
jonnythan

Post by jonnythan »

So if I'm going back and adding the city to existing dives that already have dive sites, is there a way to do it so I don't have to do the procedure I mentioned above?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

That should be normally no problem. When there is an existing dive site and you change city or country, the dive site should not change. If it does, then it's maybe a bug, but I was not able to reproduce it. You can send me your logbook file to info (at) divinglog.de and instructions how to reproduce the problem, then I can see if this is a bug.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I think you have a minor bug. I've got a linked dive site and no longer have the pencil icon. So by either clicking the link for the site or clicking the down arrow and going to the link I pick the site in mind. The Country and City field do not populate.

If I remove the dive site link, save the logbook and try again then it works as described. This is easily repeatable.

And then all of a sudden it works as described as I populate some other dives. Strange.
Many thanks,

Fernando
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I just downloaded two dives, clicked on the link for the dive site and only the dive site was populated. Once in awhile it works, most times it does not.
Many thanks,

Fernando
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

OK, I've narrowed it to...
Click the "link" icon and it doesn't populate properly.

Click the down arrow, go to the link name and click it and it works successfully populating the other fields.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks,

Fernando