Suunto temperture data not importing

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Isbjoern

Suunto temperture data not importing

Post by Isbjoern »

I just imported an old Suunto dive manager file, and in addition downloaded dive log data from my Suunto D9. Both worked like a charm, but: somewhere on the way, the temperature data seems to disappear. At least it does not show in the profile. Tank pressure and depth seem to import correctly.
Do you have any idea what is happening here and why? Would be nice to get a solution for that, as I am using temp data quite a lot in scientific diving.
Thanks for any help!
MeRodent

Re: Suunto temperture data not importing

Post by MeRodent »

I have no problem with temperature during the dive on my Vyper Air but the air temp is not being imported.
About half the dives I have since downloading directly to diving log have the air temperature and the other half don't. It may be the Suunto dive download that does download them and the universal downloader that doesn't.
I have been using the universal downloader for my latest dives because it starts the dive when I start diving rather than the interval before, so it may be that it's the dropped interval that stores the air temp.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

You can try both, the "Suunto Downloader" and the "Universal Downloader" to see which fits best. Temperature data is only imported in the universal downloader, when there is a temperature profile (which is not the case for many Suuntos). If there are just 2 or 3 values, you may want to use the Suunto Downloader or the import from Suunto Dive Manager.

You can also try the latest beta version of Diving Log, maybe the data will be imported there.

Kind regards,
Sven
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Hi Sven,

Having just started to move over to using the universal downloader from the suunto one because of the problems I have reported (and you have fixed) elsewhere, I can see the same issue with regards the air temperature.

I'm using a Suunto Air, and when I use the suunto it fills the air temp and the water temp. To me it looks like it is using the first temperature reading as the air temperature and the lowest as the water temperature. In fact whilst I've been typing this I've done a download of a Vytec DS, and I can see for each row it is reporting Start/At Depth/End temperatures in Farenheit.

Would it be possible for you to use the first temperature to populate the air temperature? Or do you need Jef to provide a specific air temperature value?

Thanks
Roger
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Should have said, I am using the 5.0.7 release.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Air- and water tempearature can only be imported in the universal downloader, when there is a full temperature profile at the moment. This is also something that has to be implemented together with Jef.

Kind regards,
Sven
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Just interested as to what you mean by a full temp profile. The Suunto Air seems to be capturing temperature data every 40 seconds. Is that full, or are you looking for a temperature set at every logging point.

Cheers
Roger
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

That's a full profile and should be imported by all downloaders/importers.
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Thanks. So when I use the universal downloaded it should be loading the air temperature. But it isn't currently.

Cheers
Roger
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, the air temperature is not taken from the temperature profile at the moment. The universal downloader works identically across all computers and manufacturers, so I'm not sure if it makes sense for all computers to take the air temperature from the profile. But I'll check that.
TnT

Post by TnT »

Supporting air temperature is more complex than you may think at first. First of all it's not available for all devices. Worse is that even if there is a temperature value available in the header section of the dive, the interpretation varies between different devices. For example some devices will record the temperature at the start of the dive (which is basically the air temperature), some the maximum, minimum or average value during the dive. Suppose we add support for a "generic" temperature value (by pretending there are no differences in interpretation), then what about devices which record more than one value?

Also if a full temperature profile is available, then what is the added value of the start/end and min/max/avg values? Those are simple statistics that can be calculated from the profile data. Sure the resulting values may differ slightly from the stored values, but I don't think those differences will be very large. If there is no temperature profile, then that's another story of course.

I'm not saying I have no interest in supporting those values, but since my available time is limited, I try to prioritize info that can't be calculated from other data.

Temperature values in the sample section (e.g. the full profile) are fully supported. This is a lot easier, because there is a lot less veriation out there (depth, temperature, pressure and a few others).
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Thanks for the extensive post back and the rationale. I understand your time is constrained and I'm sure there are many demands. As you say, for Suunto, I can just grab the first temperature from the profile (which is what SDM does), which is fine for my needs. In the end I'm only using the universal downloader because the SuuntoXML one failed on my Vyper Air, I can hope it starts working again:-)

Thanks
Roger
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Roger

I think I'll import the temperature at the beginning as air temperature in the future. I'm doing this already for the OSTC.

Kind regards,
Sven
RogerSelwyn

Post by RogerSelwyn »

Great stuff. I'll download when there is a new release :D

Cheers
Roger
Isbjoern

Post by Isbjoern »

Hello again,
and thanks for the extensive replies. It took me a while before I had time to check back here, sorry. Apparently I was partly wrong with my initial post - the temperature data seems to import correctly, with one exception: The DivingLog seems to have problems with sub-zero temperature values. All the profiles I was looking at in the beginning were by chance profiles with a flat-line zero degree temperature throughout the entire dive or varying profiles between -2 and 0 (I checked with the original Suunto Dive Manager plots). DivingLog seems to interpret zero or sub-zero throughout a dive as a non-valid temperature and states 'no profile'.
After a while I found a dive that had varying positive temperature, which was identical in both DivingLog and SDM.
I don't know if it is the importer or DivingLog which has the sub-zero issue, but it would be nice if that could end up on the to-do list. At least for me, 70% of my dives range between 0 and -2 degrees, therefore I would like to have those values imported correctly.

Thanks for the impressive work!

Cheers
/Daniel