New feature requiest: photos

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Rockfish

New feature requiest: photos

Post by Rockfish »

I do not know if this feature will be possible to implement at all, but here goes:

I always wanted to link my dive profile with the time stamp data on my underwater photos (i.e. use the EXIF data)
This will enable you to see at which depth any particular photo was taken. I had this idea of displaying a icon on the dive profile which will link to the photo in the Graphic gallery. If not possible to put the icon in the dive profile, then the additional info in the gallery would also be usefull.

regards
Wilhelm
rene

Re: New feature requiest: photos

Post by rene »

Hello Wilhelm,

I have implemented for my own needs such a feature.

You can see the result here in this picasa album.

Right now, I use my dive computer database (a suunto vyper) because the start time is accurate to the second. Diving Log only store the minutes and I can also read the profiles from its database.

Embed text in an image is a bit complicated : there are many paramaters : size, position, font, color, etc. So I use a batch with ImageMagick convert command line tool.

Here is the GUI:

To be continued...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wilhelm

Yes, such a feature is planned for a future release. Rene's addon tool is also a great solution which is already available.

Kind regards,
Sven
rene

Post by rene »

Adding a column with the (calculated) depth is a great idea. Then add a feature to export the album with the depth and the site name embedded.

BTW, Sven, you could get from the IPTC fields the title of the picture. But reading IPTC properly without the framework .net 4 is a pain ...

I can make available for all the tool describe in my precedent post (this weekend...). But it will remain for advanced users.

It requires a DM4 or Diving Log database,a photography of the time of the dive computer (to calculate the offset between the both clocks) and batch knowledge to process the pictures with ImageMagick and exiftool.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you Rene! I try to keep Diving Log still at .NET 2.0 because there are still many XP users out there and .NET 4 is a big download for them, but maybe I find some 3rd party libraries to read the image data. I have already a EXIF class to read the EXIF data.