Suggestion: Dive Table Extension

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
lloyd_borrett

Suggestion: Dive Table Extension

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day,

There are a few clever folk that hang around here who have written some fantastic extensions/add-ins for Diving Log. I'd like to suggest one that someone may like to develop.

A Dive Table Extension. An add-on utility to enable us to step through and set the PG Start and PG End values for dives without these values already present and then set them based on a specified dive table. Ideally the utility would come with support for the commonly used dive tables like PADI, BSAC, Bulmann etc. Or, if there are copyright issues in doing that, then have a method to enable us to add multiple dive table definitions that we can then have the add-on utility use.

The utility could start with the first dive of the day and assign it a PG Start of 'A' (or maybe different if it can get the altitude and take into account this when it's not 0). Then grab the dive time and max depth for the dive and lookup the dive table specified and set the End PG.

For subsequent dives of the day it would also take into account the surface interval to get the PG Start, and then grap the appropriate values to get the End PG.

Anyone interested in having a go?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
AndyDragon

Re: Suggestion: Dive Table Extension

Post by AndyDragon »

This is something I've thought about (and I do have some code to calculating loading per tissue given m-values and half-times, but the pressure groups (at least for PADI) are copyright (at least in table form).

I will look into this again, but might take a few days (this weekend is thanksgiving weekend for Canadians)...
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Andrew,

I figured copyright could be an issue. That's why I suggested you give people the framework and enable them to put in the values for whatever table they want to use themselves.

I've suggested to Sven that Diving Log needs a field to specify what the table being used is. In the meantime, you'd put it into the comments.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
rene

Post by rene »

The aim is to display compartiments and their saturations like Uwatec SmartTRAK - for example ?
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

I think Lloyd is more interested in auto-filling the pressure groups. I'd be an interesting feature, but for me I use my dive computer and would be "dead", ie, way off the table, most of the time. I shore dive a lot and use my dive computer...for example, I never got closer than 8 minutes to NDC on a dive where I hit 86 feet and was in the water for 85 minutes...and the water was COLD, so try that one on ANY chart and see what happens..lol On the PADI tables, that puts me 1 hour past the black box exactly. What I'd like to see (you might have seen it if you played around with the explorer app in the repository) is an interactive chart for the profile page. There's something screwy with that algo though, I need to review it and see why even shallow dives are hitting NDC during the dive...
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
rene

Post by rene »

Well, I dive with a dive computer too ;-) And haven't used tables for years...

The pressure group (as far I know, e.g. the french MN90 tables) is used for "square" profiles to calculate the deco of the second dive of the day. Why calculate it with a probably non square profile recorded from a computer ?

In the French Navy MN90 table, the PG (if I understand well what it is...) is the the residual partial pressure of nitrogen of the 120' compartiment (Haldane model).

rené
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

Yes, I'm looking for a way to auto-fill the new pressure group fields in Diving Log. It would be interesting and educational to see the results for my past 350 odd dives, plus future dives where I just rely on the computer computer. But to manually do the calculations would be tiresome.

I too hadn't used tables, except as required when doing courses, for years. But then when I started doing some technical diving, using tables in conjunction with dive planning software became the norm. So for those dives I have the dive plans.