Using phpDivingLog with GoDaddy web hosting

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
terrylowe

Using phpDivingLog with GoDaddy web hosting

Post by terrylowe »

Using Divelog 5.0 and phpDivingLog with GoDaddy.

I spent HOURS trying to get Divelog 5.0 to work phpDivingLog to work with GoDaddy web hosting and finally got it to work after a good bit of tweaking. I am a complete MySQL newbie which is probably why I struggled a good bit. I am listing the steps that were necessary to get it to work along with some of the pitfalls that I had run into.

First, set up your MySQL server on GoDaddy.
  • Go to your GoDaddy domain and then to your "hosting account". Click on "Manage Account".
  • You should now have a window opened called "Hosting Control Center". Click on "Databases", then on "MySQL"
  • Click the small "Create Database" tab and you should be taken to a window where you can type in a description, database name (which will also be your user name) and create your password. You will need to remember your database name, user name (which is the same as the database name), and password for when you configure phpDivinglog. (See below) Be sure to select "Allow Direct Access" so you will be able to upload from Divelog 5.0. This will allow you to directly upload from Divelog 5.0
  • After hitting "Go" I waited and waited. Save yourself some time and hit the refresh tab on the screen and then you should see where you can manage the database via phpMyAdmin. You will be prompted for your newly created username and password.
  • On this page is your SERVER NAME. You will need this when configuring phpDivinglog.
  • Now it is time to install phpDivinglog, but you may as well keep the GoDaddy page open as you will need to return to it.
  • As a side note, you do not have to download MySQL to your local computer if you do not already use it. You will not have to download PHP or phpMyAdmin if you do not already use them for something else.
Download and configure phpDivinglog
  • Download the phpDivingLog software to your computer http://rob.lensen.nu/devdoc/phpDivinglog-2.2beta6.zip
  • Use Wordpad, NOT notepad, to edit the file config.invc.php
  • Go to the following section and enter the information that you collected while creating your MySQL database above. Here is what mine looks like:
    * database settings
    */
    $_config['database_server'] = "terrydive.db.5436403.hostedresource.com";
    $_config['database_db'] = "terrydive";
    $_config['database_username'] = "terrydive";
    $_config['database_password'] = "mysecretpassword";

@@@@Now go to the section where you can enter your website url.@@@@

/**
    * change this to your website url
    */
    $_config['web_root'] = 'http://www.fpahc.com/dive';
    /**
    * Your path where divelog is located
    * EXAMPLE: http://www.foo.com/users/j/jo/john
    * abs_url_path = /users/j/jo/john
    * Nothing todo where phpdivinglog is installed on your harddrive!
    */
    $_config['abs_url_path'] = '/dive';
  • If you chose to use imperial measure, you need to go to the appropriate part of the config file and change the Falses to Trues.

Upload all of the phpDivinglog files to your GoDaddy Site
  • I used Filezilla as my FTP client and uploaded all of the phpDivinglog files and folders to my DIVE folder on GoDaddy.
  • You could use the built in GoDaddy file manager, but it takes a long time to upload each file with this.
  • You must change the permissions on the COMPILE folder. Filezilla will NOT do this with GoDaddy ....trust me! The best way to do this is to use GoDaddy's built-in file manager, browse to the COMPILE folder, check it, and then click on the "permissions" tab. Add "read" and "write" permissions for this folder.

Start Divelog 5.0 and export your log book to MySQL format
  • This will NOT work if you use the default settings!!
  • Add MySQL to "My Exports" and then click this.
  • "MySQL dump export" window will come up...click on "Advanced Settings"
  • TablePrefix should be blank. I had to erase "DL_"
  • Compression should be "None"
  • While you are there, you may as well set up your database server, database name, and password. It is the same as what you entered in the config.inc.php file
  • Click on "Export" to export your divelog and information to MySQL format.
Import your new MySQL dive log into your MySQL database on GoDaddy
  • Go back to your GoDaddy phpMyAdmin page if you left it open. If you didn't leave it open, just log back into your
  • GoDaddy account and run the phpMyAdmin.
  • Click Import and browse on your local computer to the Divelog file that you created above.
  • Now go to your site with your browser and it should be working for you....first time!!
  • Divelog 5.0 supports direct upload of the MySQL dive log to GoDaddy.
  • My site is up at http://www.fpahc.com/dive
lloyd_borrett

Re: Using phpDivingLog with GoDaddy web hosting

Post by lloyd_borrett »

Thanks Terry,

That should help some people get phpDivingLog up and running.

I notice that your Dive Log is now online at http://www.terrylowe.com/

We're currently working on an updated phpDivingLog. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1468

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.