Vote about your current smartphone

Discussions about the smartphone versions

Which smartphone do you currently have or going to have in the near future?

Apple iOS
29%
Android
48%
Windows Phone
17%
Windows Mobile
3%
Other smartphone (post in comments)
2%

Total votes: 121

divinglog
Site Admin

Vote about your current smartphone

Post by divinglog »

Hi everyone

There are currently so many smartphone platforms available, that it's hard for developers to know on which they should jump. I've created a vote where you should select the platform you currently have or will have in the near future. You can edit your choice anytime in the future and you can select one or two selections (e.g. you have an Android phone and an iPad), so hopefully we see some trends in the long term.

Currently Diving Log can sync with iOS Dive Log, Android Dive Log, Windows Phone and Windows Mobile.
lloyd_borrett

Re: Vote about your current smartphone

Post by lloyd_borrett »

Currently have an old Windows Mobile 2003 based smartphone. Had been waiting to see Window Phone 7 before making a decision on which new one to get. Now that I've seen it, I'm planing on getting an Android based phone. I can't believe MS takes control of the memory card and won't let you switch in different cards for different applications. How dumb is that?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Lloyd

Yes, in some areas WP7 is a step back from WM, but in my opinion it is a huge improvement in much more areas. I'm sure a lot of things will be fixed by updates over the next year, but some things maybe not because they are by design. There are users who have swapped memory cards successfully on WP7, but it is not supported or recommended. The reason is, that WP7 uses the internal memory and the sd cards like a raid system and combines both memory. So when you switch the card, it will cause problems with the data. But I think when you have a 16 GB phone there is not much need to exchange the card anyway.

Best regards,
Sven
frankaloia

Post by frankaloia »

I hope we'll see an Android based version soon. I'm switching to that platform from iOS.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

There is already an Android version: https://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/android.php
ace

Post by ace »

win mob7
billwil

Post by billwil »

I'm using WP7 (Samsung Focus) and absolutely love it. Great combination of choice (a la Android) and simplicity and consistancy (a la iOS). Add to that a beautiful and functional UX, and I'm pretty sure I'll be using some version of WP for a long time (was on an iPhone, but happily switched). I also think the Metro UI is perfectly suited for "log" type apps, using a Panorama for the overview and diving into a Pivot for the actual views of the log data.

I surely appreciate the effort on the platform so far to be able to view my logs and I'm waiting patiently for more and more mobile features to show up. Thanks for the efforts, for sure. And please hurry on the WP7 feature additions. :)

Thanks.
Bill~
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Bill

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I'm planning to add a panorama UI when launching the app to display an overview of the most important logbook information. Normally I would have released already some updates, but the work on version 5.0.3 desktop delayed my WP7 plans. The technical diving features had a high priority but meant also a lot of work during the past 4 month. But it's now almost done and the final 5.0.3 will be released in May and then I can continue to work on WP7.

Kind regards,
Sven
suberip

Post by suberip »

what about symbian ^3 platoform ? i have a nokia n8 and i interested about this app.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Nokia is replacing Symbian with Windows Phone 7 in future, so it is unfortunately unlikely that there will be any new apps for Symbian, I'm sorry.
moustique

Post by moustique »

I have an eye phone :-)
suberip

Post by suberip »

divinglog wrote:Nokia is replacing Symbian with Windows Phone 7 in future, so it is unfortunately unlikely that there will be any new apps for Symbian, I'm sorry.

Do you still believe the same about symbian ^3 ?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

As much as I want to develop for all kind of smartphone platforms, but I really cannot do it. I'm developing the Windows and Windows Phone versions and soon also a Windows 8 tablet version and that's already a lot for a single developer. It's only possible, because I can share a lot of code between all 3 platforms and use the same development tools. It's simply not possible for me to add another non Microsoft platform, sorry.

Because of this reason, I'm cooperating for iOS and Android and of course I'm open to any cooperation with a Symbian or any other OS developer. But until there is someone willing to develop a Dive Log for Symbian, Blackberry, Bada, Meego or whatever you are unfortunately out of luck.

There are currently way to many smartphone platforms out there and it is unsure which platforms will survive in the long run. Nokia is betting everything on Windows Phone, even though they are still building Symbian phones.
lquinlan

Post by lquinlan »

Apple iOs
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day,

Back in November 2011, I finally upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note Android based smartphone. The large 5.3" screen is good for my aging eyes.

I must admit the Android Dive Log software is a bit of a disappointent. Seems it's a dive log application that has been adapted to also support the import of Diving Log data.

I'd like to see a true Diving Log for Android application which has as it's reason for being to fully support the feaures of Diving Log on the Android platform.

Though now I use an Acer Eee PC netbook as my main computer for diving related stuff. That's where I use Diving Log and work on phpDivingLog. This computer now goes with me on dive trips, so I guess I now have less real need for the Android based Diving Log. Plus wih Internet connectivity, I can usually access my web site and my online phpDivingLog web pages from my Android smartphone.

I'm also finding the Navionics marine charts application for the Android phone a great tool. And so inexpensive. I already had software that supports the Navioincs charts on my netbook because I use the Navionics charts with the Lowrance chartplotter in my dve boat. Now my smartphone becomes a backup chartplotter out on the water. I'm looking forward to using when I go on liveaboard dive trips too.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.