Need testers for dive computer downloader

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Need testers for dive computer downloader

Post by divinglog »

Hi Harald

Yes, Diving Log currently uses the Suunto downloader of James Connell. I want to add the downloaders of TNT and Andy in the future as additional download methods, so anyone can choose which downloader to use in the case something doesn't work right. But I'm currently very busy working on version 5.0 and didn't heard of any problems with James downloader, so I decided to do this later this year after the 5.0 beta release.

Is it a Cobra, Cobra 2 or Cobra 3 computer you're using? Cobra and Cobra 2 should be working with James downloader, Cobra 3 probably not. Thank you for providing the logs and feedback!

Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

If it's a Cobra 1/2 it should download using the Vyper code as TnT pointed out. You could also try this:

http://www.divecomputerlib.com/download ... Dumper.zip

It runs on Windows with .NET 3.5 installed and records a log as well as taking a memory snapshot. I'm interested in particular if the port finder command will work with your DIY cable...I know it works with a DIY cable a friend has with his Vyper2 and with the Suunto cable I have with my wife's Vyper.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
James Connell

Post by James Connell »

divinglog wrote:Is it a Cobra, Cobra 2 or Cobra 3 computer you're using? Cobra and Cobra 2 should be working with James downloader, Cobra 3 probably not.
Hi Sven,
I don't think it will matter what version of Cobra, I have no reports of problems with the Cobra 3/Vyper 3 or the Vyper Air. As was pointed out the user seems to have selected the wrong Com port. Suunto's SDM searches for a good port, and as you know my downloader does not. But it would be useful to see the debug log from the downloader to be sure.

I have added gas switching to the output now for all the computer types supported. Many Thanks to Henrik Absalon for the needed files.

I have also released the source code for the Downloader under the "GNU General Public License".

Currently under construction is the UDDF compatible output translator.

--
JConn Inv.
Software Tools for Suunto Dive Computers
http://LiquidImagePhoto.com
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi James, thank you for the clarification and your great work! :)
haarald

Post by haarald »

James Connell wrote:
divinglog wrote: Suunto's SDM searches for a good port, and as you know my downloader does not. But it would be useful to see the debug log from the downloader to be sure.
That is it! Although DM2 asks for the connected COM port it will continue to check other(s).
I will have some check tonite......

happy
haarald
--
ttfn Harald
haarald

Post by haarald »

Thank you all!

The error was sitting behind my keyboard. :D

And DM2 scans every port to find the cobra.....
I took all available dumpers and downloaders and completed the collection on my website. Every piece of software was able to produce a dump file. Now, I will be able to read my new cobra directly into DM4 and I am happy with it.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I will be glad to help.

Oh boy, what a foolish bastard-operator-from-hell-mistake.

best regards
harald
--
ttfn Harald
haarald

Post by haarald »

AndyDragon wrote: It runs on Windows with .NET 3.5 installed and records a log as well as taking a memory snapshot. I'm interested in particular if the port finder command will work with your DIY cable...I know it works with a DIY cable a friend has with his Vyper2 and with the Suunto cable I have with my wife's Vyper.
Hi Andy,

with my current cable the behaviour seems a bit strange on the first view. After selecting the correct COM port the port finder is not (yet) satisfied, but the LED is ON. Just three or four blue rectangles in the status bar are displayed, then the bar turns from blue to red and an error like (device not found, IIRC) is displayed.

Though, after selecting the download button the download will be taken until the status bar reaches the end and turns green. I did not find anything significant in the dump file, but VTAM buffer traces are more familliar to me than suunto protocol dumps. It looks like a very slight adjustment problem in identifying the device connected to the port. If you want me to retest and be more specific, just let me know. The dump is also available on the page posted in my first reply. :angelic:
--
ttfn Harald
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

The port finder code uses WMI to locate the FDTI device, then the serial port from that device. Seems the VID and PID are different for your DIY cable. The downloader code is separate and works independently.

I've updated the application here: http://www.divecomputerlib.com/download ... Dumper.zip

Now it will record logs for the FindSerialPort command. If you could try again and post what the log contains, it would be very helpful.
Andrew Forget
haarald

Post by haarald »

Hi Andy,
here we are.

hth
Attachments
ADCD.zip
(7.85 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times
--
ttfn Harald
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Haarald,

Can you try the failed 'FindSerialPort' and save the log for that with your DIY cable, I'd like to see what the VID and PID values are for that cable...

Thanks.
Andrew Forget
haarald

Post by haarald »

Hi Andy,
I thought that no log was written when i last tried to 'FindSerialPort' but I was not quite shure so I retried it a few minutes ago. The result: no log when trying to 'FindserialPort'. (And also: no LED blink...) I double-checked this using PortMon: No traffic to COM2.

The download, however, worked fine. It produced a .log file and a .dat file also. I traced the traffic with PortMon.

Maybe it's because of my .NET config, but the behaviour of the Dumper seemed a bit strange:

1. The "Read communication log' option can't be tagged. It will stay grey as long as the left mouse button is pressed, baut afterwardy it will turn back to white background - no tag or any other sign.

2. After starting 'FindSerialPort' 5 blue squares of the status was displayed for about half a second (or even less), then the status bar quickly turned to full red and the message 'Serial port not found' was displayed.

As you requested the 'FindSerialPort' I do not think it is necessary to post the download logs. Anyway, if you see a reason to inspect them I can post them here or on my site.

.Net 3.5 SP1 and two fixes for it is in place.
--
ttfn Harald
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Strange, the log check box is disabled?!? It should default to enabled. I wonder if it's a rendering problem...

I wonder if there was an issue in caching the download. I have rebuilt the application (with an updated version number). Please try downloading the new copy from the server and running that. If the version at the bottom != v 1.0.2009.0331 build 0001, then you don't have the latest version...
Andrew Forget
haarald

Post by haarald »

Okay, I checked on my office computer: now the checkbox looks enabled by default, here. I will have a chance to rerun the test at 19.00 CEST, when I'm back home.

Communication Log Written Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 - 20:20:53
Application: v 1.0.2009.0331 build 0001 - Computer: AndyDragon.SuuntoVyper.dll v 1.0.2009.0331 build 0001

INFO: Beginning WMI search
ERROR: Serial port not found
EXIT: Exception caught during processing: Serial port not found

On my computer the checkbox is disabled.

I tried it on COM1 and COM2, same result.

It's like being a doctor: You need a lot of patients :wink:

regards
harald
--
ttfn Harald
TnT

Post by TnT »

It's been a while since my last update, and the libdivecomputer library has improved a lot. For almost all supported devices we can now not only download the data, but also parse the dive profiles.

Since it's a lot of effort to verify whether the generated output is correct, you can help us with that. There is a new "univeral" test application available, that you can download here: With the right options (see below), this application will download the dives and generate a simple xml file with the profile data. It will look like this:

Code: Select all

<dive>
<number>1</number>
<size>573</size>
<fingerprint>072416D7070B12</fingerprint>
<datetime>2007-11-18 07:36:22</datetime>
<sample>
   <time>00:00</time>
   <depth>1.34</depth>
   <pressure tank="0">183.00</pressure>
   <temperature>29.00</temperature>
</sample>
</dive>
You should compare this output with the data in the manufacturer's application, and see if there are any errors. And last but not least, don't forget to let me know if your output contains errors or not.

It's again a command line application, that accepts a number of options. The most important ones are:

Code: Select all

universal.exe -b <backend> [-m <memorydump>] [-d <xmlfile>] <serialport>
You can start the application without any parameters (or the -h option) to get a little help, and a list with the supported backend names. I think the options are pretty self-explanatory, but let me know if you have questions or need more help. Both the -m option (to output a memory dump) and -d option (to output the dives) are enabled by default, but the transfer will go faster if you enable only the one you actually need.
MRXRAY

Post by MRXRAY »

I have a Mares Nemo Air and a Mares icon HD, how can I help?