Countries, Cities, Locations and Buddies.

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
wvd_vegt

Countries, Cities, Locations and Buddies.

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

There are still some long standing issues with the Country, City, Location trio.

1) I would expect the comboboxes to select an item in the dialogs also when I select a dropdown item.
2) when a known dropdown item is selected (either selected or typed with auto-completion), I would like to to be colored blue as if if was chosen by dialog.
3) if I choose a diving location, the program should be able to supply city/island and country. Then a diving spot never moves! Such an option would save a lot of mouse clicks.
4) In the dialogs you would need to be able to select a level up with a simple combobox (so a country in the cities/island dialog).
5) If I update an item's name (country, city/island, location or buddy name) I have to re-open the dialogs in all dives and re-save them. This also costs a lot of mouseclicks to correct a typing error.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

As I'm re-creating the whole GUI during the .NET conversion and the 5.0 release, I don't want to spend too much time changing the 4.0 version, because this would delay the 5.0 release too much. I'll improve these things in version 5.0 and there will be a public beta test, so you can give feedback about the changes before the final release.

Kind regards,
Sven
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi

Fair enough that you do not make big changes anymore to v4 when v5 is under development. Do you already have a date for the beta testing?

Btw will the DiLogs export be integrated too in v5 (Even though DiLogs lacks all kind of statistics at the moment, it's a easy way to get your dives on the internet)?
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

I'm sorry, I cannot say a release date for the beta version at the moment. But it's getting closer. All the .NET tools you already find in version 4.0 were actually 5.0 components and were under beta test or already stable. These componets will then be merged in version 5.0. Currently they are seperate .exe files (Downloader.exe, Importer.exe, Exporer.exe, PhotoManager.exe)

Also the Dilogs application (included in Exporter.exe) will be integrated in version 5.0. The advantage of the seperate development is, that I already have these tools on the .NET platform and don't have to port them, but I'm able to release updates for the current version 4.0 and deliver new features very quickly. And the beta testing and debugging is a little bit "stretched", so that these things will already work during the main beta test.

There will be a point where this doesn't make sense anymore and it's better to release a beta version 5.0 and freeze the 4.0 state (no further updates for 4.0). At this time some features available in version 4.0 will still be missing in 5.0, so it is necessary to have both versions installed. But this is the only way to do such a complete rewrite. To find out when this point is reached makes it hard to say a certain date.

Btw, I'll release a Dilogs client update today or tomorrow, which is then the final release. If you find in this new version any bugs, please let me know.

Sven
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

kreuzerkrieg

Post by kreuzerkrieg »

The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on local machine.

:?

Vista x64 SP1
God made every man different, Sam Colt made them equal.
kreuzerkrieg

Post by kreuzerkrieg »

I think I got it...AFAIR, there is no x64 version of ODBC... IMHO, you have compiled it to target machine which is Any CPU or something, the dependency walker shows your Exporter.exe is trying to load x64 DLLs which is wrong to do, compiling to target machine x86 may fix the problem
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, this is a known bug in .NET Framework. I know that and normally I compile for x86 so it works on 64 bit, too. But in this case I've forgotten the switch. I've updated the file, please download it again. Thank you for the hint!
kreuzerkrieg

Post by kreuzerkrieg »

You are welcome. :wink: