Problems with Suunto Downloader and S. Stinger

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sorry Sven, but that is not much of a difference.
I installed DL on the C:\ drive again with your download and tried to import the dives from my Stinger. It did not work. Again the same message: "Suunto XML Error -1"
Thanks anyway !!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, then lets try this one: Downloader.zip

Everyone who wants to test should make sure that you...

- run Vista
- have Diving Log installed in C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0
- download the zip file and extract it into the Diving Log folder
- click "Advanced Settings" and then "Reset". Then it should look like this:

Make sure the "XML File" option points to:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Temp\SuuntoXML.xml

The "XML Downloader" option should point to:
C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0\SuuntoXML.exe

Edit to add: It is possible that the import into the logbook itself in the last step doesn't work. This test is only about downloading and I was doing some changes on the import routine when I started this test. So try only the download itself, the complete update with import into the logbook will be released soon.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sven,
Indeed the download now works.
There is the message "Download Succesful"
After that appears a message "Download error -5", but that is probably the import in the log.
However this is only through the .NET2.0 download option.
In the other option it still says "Can't open file" at the end of the download process.
Thanks ! I'll wait for definitive version.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Ben

Thank you for the report! I don't want to update the old downloader anymore, because I want to focus on the new one (it supports more data like temperature and tank pressure profiles and it will replace the old one in future).

The error 5 should not happen, what I meant, it is possible that the last step of the wizard (after selecting the downloaded dives) can fail.

Please change in the advanced settings the "Delete XML File" option to "False". Then do the download again and after the error 5 appears navigate in the Windows Explorer to your temp folder and send me to info@divinglog.de the file SuuntoXML.xml:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Temp\SuuntoXML.xml

You can also temporary change the "XML File" option to your desktop to make it easier to find the file.
TheULi

Post by TheULi »

@Sven:
only nice to know...

if there are no dive profiles stored on the dive computer the downloder returns a runtime error and Suunto XML Error: -1

CDBLOG.txt

Code: Select all

14:42:26_547_8EC:  Debug:: CommandLine = "C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0\SuuntoXML.exe"  -file="C:\Users\Ulrich H. Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\SuuntoXML.xml" -port="COM5" -um -version=2 -fmt -top= -left= 
14:42:26_547_8EC: Detail:: sAPIThread::Create()
14:42:26_562_8EC:   Info:: Gradient="ON"
14:42:26_578_8EC: Detail:: sAPIThread::Set() with: file="C:\Users\Ulrich H. Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\SuuntoXML.xml" port="\\.\COM5" Options=0x4620F 
14:42:27_358_1664:   Info:: Found Device Type1
14:42:27_358_1664:   Info:: Downloading Device
14:42:31_585_1664:   Info:: Downloading Dive 1
14:42:32_849_1664:  Error:: Download Dive: Unexpected Error = 0
14:42:35_376_8EC: Detail:: sAPIThread::Destroy()
14:42:35_376_8EC:   Info:: FormClose(): Returning -1
Diving Log 4.0.11, Suunto Vytec DS, phpDivingLog 2.2
++++++++++++++
Mein Online-Logbuch
James Connell

Post by James Connell »

TheULi,

I can not reproduce this error. I have a Gekko that has no dives on it, It gives the expected results.
Have you erased the dives on this Computer? or is it new?
JConn Inv.
Software Tools for Suunto Dive Computers
http://LiquidImagePhoto.com
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, new downloader for testing: Downloader.zip

Please click again the "Reset" and "OK" button in the settings dialog to make sure you use the default settings. If the download fails you'll find 2 new link labels which directs you to the XML File and Logfile for further analysis. Please send these files to James and me.

The read routine is new so even if there are some dives in the XML file which could not be read all other dives are displayed. Now both, the logfile and the xml file are stored in your personal documents folder in the subfolder "Diving Log" for easier finding. This is also the default location where Diving Log stores the initial logbook after a fresh install. On Vista, simply click on the right side of the Startmenu on "Documents" and then open the subfolder "Diving Log".
TheULi

Post by TheULi »

many thanks Sven..

this downloader is working for me and my corrupt dive profiles :)

regards
ULi

EDIT: okay... Ben seems to be right.. the import doesn't work.. i've send you an email, Sven
Last edited by TheULi on Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
++++++++++++++
Mein Online-Logbuch
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks, Sven.
It works a lot better now, but still not fully working.
I manage to daownload the Dive Profiles ("Download Succesful") (41 dives on my Stinger)
When I want to import the dives in the Logbook it says: "An unexpected exception occured" In details is mentioned: "System .NullReferenceException)
I really do not know what thet means.
Result however is that there are no dives imported in the Logbook !

Sorry !
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, that is what I expected. I was doing some changes on the final import routine into the logbook file when these Vista related problems were reported. So I stopped working on that and tried first to get the download itself working again for Vista users. Now it seams that the download works again for all, so I can finish my previous work and then everything should be OK. Thank you all for your patience and help to get the things working :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Great, Sven !!!
What a lot of work for you !
Know that it is appreciated. Hope you do like computering .......
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you! :) But we must mainly thank James Connell who works really hard on supporting all these Suunto computers.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Okay, James, thank you too ...... !! :D
TheULi

Post by TheULi »

I agree!

James, thank you very much for the downloader and for the new version of the DCEraser !!
++++++++++++++
Mein Online-Logbuch
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, now everything should work again: Downloader.zip

Please be aware that only the .NET downloader was updated. The old downloader will not be updated anymore because it is replaced by the .NET version. With the next update of Diving Log the .NET downloader will be started by default from the left vertical menu of Diving Log. So this is the recommended download method in future. This is because Diving Log 5.0 will be based on .NET and the new downloader is then integrated in the main program.