phpDivingLog

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

Hi Rob,

I think most of what you've one with phpDivingLog is brilliant.

But I think the changes you've made to the directory structure and thus how it is setup and configured to use that directory structure is going to be very problematic.

Many of the people who might install and use phpDivingLog are not going to be able to handle setting up symlinks etc.

Plus many would be using phpDivingLog in conjunction with a CMS where it has it's own special .htaccess file requirements. Getting this version of phpDivingLog to then work in partnership with such a CMS is likely to be beyond many people, like me for one.

I really think you need to reevaluate this aspect of the new version.

I believe everything concerned with phpDiving Log needs to live below ONE top directory/subdirectory (e.g. xxx.youdomain.com or xxx.yourdomain.com/divelog). All of the main .php files called directly by users have to reside in this single directory.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
lloyd_borrett

Location Display

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day,

Location coordinates are stored in the database in the form ddd.dddddd, that is degrees and decimal fraction of a degree.

Diving Log and phpDivingLog both display location coordinates in the form dd mm ss.ssss, that is degrees, minutes, seconds and decimal fraction of a second.

Many people use their GPS systems in the third mode commonly used to display location coordinates, that is the form dd mm.mmmm.

Thus there are three common ways people may want location coordinates to be displayed.

It's probably a bit impractical to display the location cordinates in all three forms at once.

So I've been meaning to make the way location coordinates are displayed a phpDivingLog configuration option. (I already have all of the PHP code required to do the formating as I've created it for other systems in the past.)

But I'm thinking, "Should this be a system config option? Or should the user be able to change the display mode?"

Any thoughts?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

Hello Lloyd,

I think it true not everyone can use symlinks tough,
But even for those of us who can, we have;

- Microsoft based web servers IIS (yes said but trough no symlinks!)
- No command line access on you ISP/Hosting company.

Furthermore I also believe it is true most of us will use phpDiveLog in conjunction with a CMS. Thus lucky me that the plug-in for including external php scripts has already been made. I believe this has been done for several more CMS systems, I am certain that the Joombla uses have made it for their system. Which means if this script can be "loaded" into one index.php almost all large CMS systems must be able to run this script using the before called plug-in. It would certainly help me.

On the GPS cords, I would suggest keeping the Diving Log standard. The script is an extension of Diving Log... Make the choice available if the Diving Log software offers this same function.

On the side of "simple" users (read divers who have websites but can't program php) I suggest doing as much settings automatically by the script. And if possible all configurable data into one file. If there was an install script you might give the uses more influence but as this is more of a text base config I suggest this.
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

Bye the way Rob,

I do agree with Lloyd on the directory structure. In the 1.9 version is appeals more (overzichtelijk)...
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

IaMtHeOnE wrote:Hello Rob,

I have tried to install the v2 but it wont display anything at all. v1.9 works completely.
Thats possible since it's just the alpha release
Did you use the svn version? Or the alpha release on SF? The svn version is more up to date (see above)
Furthermore, I am running Typo 3 as CMS and i have used an pluging that gets the output of an php script and embeds it into a page in my site. however the links in v1.9 to the other pages of the log or the dive numbers wont work couse it wil load my front page or after editing the index.php it will load the page in a new window.
Embedding will be more easy in the new version. As you see in the config file there already options for it.
So what's my point here? Can you make sure that the v2 will give it's output in one index.php? so the dive statistics will also load in the index.php for example?
Shouldn't be a problem
And another note is that is is nice that the v1.9 and older and v2.0 van run semantanely together using one db.
It does right know the example on my site does the same
If you want to see what i mean please request an account on ruud.borghouts.net or see my scripts at ruud.borghouts.net/logboek/v2.0a1/ or /v1.9/ for the original version.
Will do
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

Changing the directory structure is a matter of changing the config files accordingly.

I can easily make a version where everything lives in a subdirectory. Maybe I will try one tonight.
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

IaMtHeOnE wrote:On the side of "simple" users (read divers who have websites but can't program php) I suggest doing as much settings automatically by the script. And if possible all configurable data into one file. If there was an install script you might give the uses more influence but as this is more of a text base config I suggest this.
I'm working on a simple install script, based on the one from wordpress
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

Hey Rob,

You're account has been created. Sure is worth a compliment that your response is this fast, same goes for Sven and lloyd btw.

And Iam using the SF version.
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

I made a new branch in SVN for the more easy install

The branch is called kiss_version, since not everyone uses SVN I made a tar.gz file
See WebSVN:
http://rob.lensen.nu/WebSVN/listing.php ... ss_version_

http://rob.lensen.nu/dev/phpDivinglog-2.0a2.tar.gz

Contains the latest fixes and you can install it as you used to do with the former version.

Just give it a try
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

I must be missing something here,
Cause it still remains a blank,

http://ruud.borghouts.net/logboek/kiss/

Anythoughts what I did wrong?
I have made changes for the db settings and website path in e config file.
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

IaMtHeOnE wrote:I must be missing something here,
Cause it still remains a blank,

http://ruud.borghouts.net/logboek/kiss/

Anythoughts what I did wrong?
I have made changes for the db settings and website path in e config file.
Don't know, maybe check your logs if there is a error should be displayed normaly

I have got a login, no clue what to do with it
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

Well under Blog and Logboek you can see the implementation of the script in typo3 and the problem the php embedding plugin has when it will go to another script page. So I think that if all CMS systems including blog systems like word press have or getting an php embedding plugin it will all work for more than just phpDiveLog. Under the condition that all results of all pages are called to the index.php script. Don't know if that would be completely possible cause when you have index.php?=1 id's and all it wil again not work.
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

Just enter the following in config.inc.php

error_reporting(E_ALL );

(on top)
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

Many thanks to IaMtHeOnE for debugging his version. I found some (stupid) bug in the url handler class.

I you want to see the details check subversion
http://rob.lensen.nu/WebSVN/listing.php ... h=%2F&sc=0

Download the new version:
http://rob.lensen.nu/dev/phpDivinglog-2.0a3.tar.gz
IaMtHeOnE

Post by IaMtHeOnE »

Hello Inferno,

I am installing the new version as we speak.
But is this still a branch version a.k.a. kiss,

Or is it just one version now?