Crowd-sourced Marine Life database?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
mrgoodwin

Crowd-sourced Marine Life database?

Post by mrgoodwin »

As I was starting to compile information about the marine life I encountered on my latest trip to Cozumel it occurred to me that this is something that might benefit from crowd sourcing. Since the logbook is just an access database, it should be fairly easy to import data.

Would there be any interest from the Diving Log community to contribute to such a thing if something like a GitHub repository were setup to allow users to submit and download data for marine life they either have data for or are missing?

Alternatively, is there a known good site for data like this with an API that can be queried?
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Crowd-sourced Marine Life database?

Post by divinglog »

You can download data via API from EOL.org into Diving Log:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=2406

mrgoodwin

Post by mrgoodwin »

Oh, awesome! I'm not sure why I didn't notice the import function. This application really does do everything!
remyvandemortel

Post by remyvandemortel »

hello.

maybe a stupid question, but under details, te last thing i see is trips/vacations. so i don't see marine life.

Is this a setting i should adjust?

I use the dutch language version.

Hope you can help me with this.

Greetings
Remy
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Then you have an old version, just install the latest version from the website and make sure your firewall isn't blocking Diving Log from checking for updates. Here you can see all updates:

https://www.divinglog.de/english/download/changelog.php
RobOtter

Post by RobOtter »

Hi, regarding EOL, l use it a lot and import the german description texts along. Here, text is often quite unreadable because umlauts are printed as masked characters - a typical Unicode problem. Is there a way to switch the code page used or anything similar? Currently, I have a hard time manually correcting these characters.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

RobOtter wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 06:24 Hi, regarding EOL, l use it a lot and import the german description texts along. Here, text is often quite unreadable because umlauts are printed as masked characters - a typical Unicode problem. Is there a way to switch the code page used or anything similar? Currently, I have a hard time manually correcting these characters.
Yes, I noticed this bug recently and already fixed the encoding. You can download this zip file and copy the content into the Diving Log program folder.
RobOtter

Post by RobOtter »

Thanks for the zip file, works great for the german umlauts in Windows 10 and 11.
And I LOVE the new tab "Dives" in the Marine Life window! It´s awesome to instantly know the dives where I had seen the selected animal.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you!