How to Sync Logbook in MDB format

Discussions about the smartphone versions
dzeleznik

How to Sync Logbook in MDB format

Post by dzeleznik »

I have been using Diving Log on Windows since 2011 and have hundreds of my dives logged in an MS Access .MDB logbook. As far as I am aware, this was the only supported logbook format back then. I have never had a problem and love the program. I only just discovered the Android app and am completely frustrated in trying to sync my logbook from Windows to my phone. As far as I can tell the app only recognizes logbooks with an .SQL extension? The app certainly does not seem to see my MDB logbooks. I have tried syncing them both through dropbox and directly copying them to Diving Log's data folder on my phone with no luck.

So how what do I do if I want the Android app to recognize my MDB logbooks? Do I need to convert them some how? If so, please explain. It seems to me that the entire synchronization process needs a how-to or tutorial. If there is one already, I have not been able to find it. Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: How to Sync Logbook in MDB format

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Please see here how to sync with Android via USB or Dropbox:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=2024

Other help pages:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=1796

Kind regards,
Sven
dzeleznik

Post by dzeleznik »

Thanks, I eventually figured out a sync method that works for me. I don't like having any of the various cloud sync client apps (dropbox, onedrive, etc) installed on my systems. They create headaches for my backup software and other undesireable interactions. In addition, they are too coarse grained in terms of synching entire directories as an all or nothing deal. Tht rules out using the Web Sync feature in Diving Log pc. I also generally don't have my MotoX running Android 7.0 connected to my pc in MTP mode. And when I tried syncing this way, all I got was errors from Diving Log pc.

Instead, I use GoodSync to sync custom file groupings to selected cloud storage locations. I also use GoodSync to sync selected files to all my Android and portable devices. I've been using GoodSync for years and it works really well to keep data directories synced across all my computers and devices. So, the solution I came up with is:
  • To sync from Diving Log pc to android:
    • Export to an SQLite database in my Diving Log data directory
    • GoodSync auto syncs the .SQL database from the pc to Diving Log android's data directory on my phone
    • Open the .SQL dive log in Diving Log android and voila
  • To sync from Diving Log android to pc:
    • GoodSync reverse syncs the .SQL database from Diving Log android's data directory on my phone back to the pc
    • In Diving Log pc, I choose Import > Diving Log and merge the updated data from my phone
The only thing I wish is that when importing/merging the updated data into Diving Log pc there was the ability to display the pending changes before proceeding. For example, in the import dialog the table pane could show the count of items unchanged/updated/new and selecting the table would show the records in the right pane with indicators showing which items will be added or overwritten.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

dzeleznik wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 17:17 The only thing I wish is that when importing/merging the updated data into Diving Log pc there was the ability to display the pending changes before proceeding. For example, in the import dialog the table pane could show the count of items unchanged/updated/new and selecting the table would show the records in the right pane with indicators showing which items will be added or overwritten.
Thank you, that is a good suggestion! I'll see if this can be implemented technically.
HelmutMayer

Post by HelmutMayer »

While you are working on the syncing, would it be possible to allow both the Android and PC programs access to specified files, so that we can eliminate the steps of exporting changes for importing into the other. That is, a folder is synched on Android and on PC using your own syncing software, eg Owncloud, nextcloud, GoogleDrive, etc, and once one program closes, the synch process transfers changes across to the other platforms. When Diving Log is run on the other platform, it automatically reads into memory the updated data.
Without this, if I forget to export my logbook on one platform, then the data on the other platform is not up to date even after I have to manually import it.
A challenge for the idea might be that permissions on the synched folder must be workable for both Diving Log and for the synching software. That's automatic on the PC but possibly not on Android.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I don't think this is possible on mobile platforms. The Dropbox app on Android and iOS cannot access a common folder and keep it on sync like on PC's. The Mac OS developer also says that the logbook file should not be stored directly in the local Dropbox folder, because this could damage the logbook database if the Dropbox app and the Dive Log app both accessing the database at the same time.