Garmin Descent

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
ATJ

Re: Garmin Descent

Post by ATJ »

I had a couple of problems.

1) I imported 3 fit files in together but it did not add them in the correct order. The dive with a date of "23/03/2018" was dive 1480, "25/03/2018" was dive 1481 and "17/03/2018" was dive 1482.

2) The timezone information is wrong.
* Dive 18/03/2018 at 9:08am shows as 17/03/2018 10:08pm
* Dive 24/03/2018 at 9:48am shows as 23/03/2018 10:48pm
* Dive 25/03/2018 at 11:34am shows as 25/03/2018 at 12:34am
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've tried really hard, but no matter how I select the files, the order is always correct for me. But it really depends on the file name, so the order is sorted by file name, the date/time is only parsed at a later time during import. So if you've renamed the files, it might get mixed up. Or were there other (non diving) activity files selected in between?

I think the time zone bug should be fixed in this version:

https://www.divinglog.com/download/DivelogTest5.zip

Let me know if the sort order is still incorrect (try to select the files in different ways to see if it makes a difference).
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

If I rename the files so they are in the right order, they are imported in the right order. However, why not look in the files themselves and get the dive date/time and use that as the order for importing?

The time zone appears to be working now.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

The files should be in the correct order by default, because they use the date/time as the file name. So normally no renaming should be required.

I use the date/time which is stored within the files and not from the file name during import, but each file has to be parsed and thus the order has to be correct before parsing the dives. Diving Log reads one file after each other, so it does not know which date/times will follow.

But again, it should not matter, because the files should be sorted ascending by default because of the file names. Please check the sort order in Windows Explorer for this folder to see if the files are sorted by name ascending. I'm not sure if this really matters, but it may be worth trying.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

divinglog wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:11 The files should be in the correct order by default, because they use the date/time as the file name. So normally no renaming should be required.
That depends how you access them. If you pull them straight from the watch via USB, they use date/time in the filename. If you pull them from Garmin Connect (which is way easier) the filename is the Activity number which is a string of 10 digits. It appears the numbers are in order so a later dive will have a higher number but I don't know if that also holds.

My problem was because I pulled one dive straight from the watch using USB and subsequent dives from Garmin Connect.

Do you have any plans to extract the dive exit point and make it available?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thanks for the explanation about the file names, now I understand. I think if you choose from the same source during one import process, the order shoud be correct. Let me know if that does not work in the future.

I've not found any exit point GPS coordinates in the data, even though the manual says it is recorded. However I've also received fit files without any GPS position (no start or end). How does it work, does the watch record the GPS position automatically or do you have to activate a function to record the start/end GPS position? Does Garmin Connect show any end position?
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

As far as I am aware it will always try to record entry and exit coordinates. (I haven't found a setting that switches it off).

I think you need to be in the activity and have a GPS lock before the dive for it to store the entry point. The very first dive I did with my Descent there was no entry point recorded, but there was an exit point. All my subsequent dives (all 5 of them) have both entry points and exit points showing on the watch, Garmin Connect Mobile and Garmin Connect (web).

Here's an example: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2590107392
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Can you send me the fit file for this dive with entry and exit point?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you, I've integrated also an option to import the exit point as new dive site. You can download the latest version from here:

https://www.divinglog.com/download/DivelogTest6.zip

Diving Log cannot store exit coordinates, so the only option is importing them as separate dive site.
GH_78

Post by GH_78 »

Hello,
I am new to Dive Log (just recently bought) and I have a Garmin Descent. I found the explanations in this Blog very helpful but I cannot access the URL shown in the last article? Always gives an error message - URL cannot be found.
ATJ

Post by ATJ »

You don't need that now. That was an early test version. Support for Garmin Descent MK1 is built into the latest version of Diving Log.
GH_78

Post by GH_78 »

Thanks for the answer. Can you please explain how it works? I connected my Descent to the Computer but could not find out how to get the data directly from the device. I exported the files from Garmin Connect and imported them into Dive Log but this is a bit a complicated way of transferring the data in my view.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You can import the *.fit files directly from the "Activity" folder from the Garmin device via USB.