how to convert 5.0 layout (.xml) files to 6.0 (.lay)?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
hiway12

how to convert 5.0 layout (.xml) files to 6.0 (.lay)?

Post by hiway12 »

How do I convert 5.0 layout (.xml) files to 6.0 (.lay)? I've tried renaming .xml to .lay but still get the errror 'this file was created in 5.0'. Have I lost all of my customization by upgrading?
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: how to convert 5.0 layout (.xml) files to 6.0 (.lay)?

Post by divinglog »

Hi

The Diving Log 6.0 layout system is unfortunately incompatible to the 5.0 layout system. The layout system is a 3rd party component, so it's not my fault. So you have to redo your layout customizations in Diving Log 6.0. I'm sorry about that!

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Can you give us a link to this third party component so we can get documentation on it? I'm trying to recreate (and improve) my 5.0 custom layouts and having a ton of questions.
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Thanks, I had found that but wasn't positive it was applicable.

Either that extension is real buggy, your app uses a partial implementation, or I'm just plain stupid because the simplest items just don't work.

If I try to add a label inside a LayoutGroup using this format
<LayoutItem Label="Item A" ></LayoutItem>
the form after this point is totally hosed, with the following tabs and groups out of order or missing.

If I try to add a label inside a LayoutGroup using the compact format
<LayoutItem Label="Item A" />
the form displays fine but there is no label shown.

The two formats are supposed to be equivalent.

Another issue is that after customizing my layout the Available Items list contains hundreds of LayoutGroup and Logbook items.

The Padding attribute seems to work in LayoutGroup though I can't find it in the docs and it only works if there are two or more Elements. How does a layout control provide no means for margins between controls? Is there a defined Element for this?

The IsCollapsible attribute doesn't work. And on and on...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, the new WPF control seems to have some weird issues (btw, the Diving Log 5.0 Windows Forms control is from the same company). The control seems to do some caching internally, so if you edit the control in a text editor, the changes seem to not reflect automatically. I have not found any documentation about this caching. Sometimes it seems to help to enable after text editing the UI editing in Diving Log and then saving the layout control. This seems to refresh the cache.

The bloating of the "Available Items" list is also a known issue. You can clear this list completely in a text editor (keep the parent tags), the it will be fine when you save it again.

There does not seem to be a padding or margin option possible in the control. I can do these things directly in WPF XAML, but it does not seem possible in the layout control.
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Here is something odd. Not sure if you want to call it an issue or bug. So the reason I was looking for a way to add margins or padding was because I didn't like the fields/controls all being jammed up tight next to each other. Turns out that only happens when oppening a layout from the Layout tab, Open button. If I close the logbook and re-open it, the layout is spaced out better.

It doesn't happen on Default, sometimes on Full console, and always on my custom layout. Steps to reproduce.
1. Open logbook, go to Layout tab, Open default.
2. Open Full console. At least for me, the bottom rows are tightly spaced with Dive Type right on top of Rep.Dive and Visibility on top of Water.
3. Close logbook.
4. Reopen logbook, now rows are better spaced.

It's hard for me to compare my xml with yours because yours has all the whitespace removed.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, I experienced the same bug myself. I think it is located in the layout control, I will try to report it to DevExpress.