Template problem

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Ianm

Template problem

Post by Ianm »

Hi,

Having updated to 6.03 I'm having real problems with templates. If I try and create a new template it looks like it's worked, but none of the fields are checked. If I go into the template through the manager (in the logbook itself) and check the fields they don't persist. All old templates have %%NULL%% in checked fields. The delete button is greyed out as well so I can't delete any of them.

If I look at template manager with the log closed (IE from the main menu) it seems to have all the fields set correctly and I can delete - course I can't use it there as the logbook is closed! It's almost as if there are two versions.

Might well be user error, but I can't see what I'm doing different from before.

Thanks in advance
Ian
nordisch

Re: Template problem

Post by nordisch »

I have the same Problem. I create an template in Log XX but it didn`t work Log XY.

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I'm not sure if I can reproduce or fully understand the issue. If you create a new template, you have to check the fields manually which should be included in the template. So it is normal that no fields are checked when creating a new template.

The delete button is always grayed out when you want to create a new template. If you want to delete templates, you have to do this from the main Window (Logbook > Template Manager).

The behavior has not changed from version 5.0. The only difference is, that you cannot launch the template manager from the logbook window anymore, e.g. to delete templates. This is only possible from the main window. From the logbook window you can only create new templates and apply them to existing dives.

So launching the template manager from logbook window and main window is behaving differently, but this is normal. From logbook window you can only create new templates. So you launch it, check the fields and save the template. Then you can apply it to existing dives.

If all fields are displayed as %%NULL%%, you have not entered any data yet. You first have to enter the data into the first dive and save it. Then you can create a template from that dive and apply it to other dives. See also:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1360

Let me know if you have still problems with templates.

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

I don't think there is a bug here but it sure would be easier to use Templates if you didn't have to check all the fields every time you create a template.

I like to create templates based on my most common dive types/sites. For example, an summer ocean boat dive, a summer shore dive, a winter spring lake dive, etc. I'll go to one of those dives and create a template from it, checking about 30 fields that are typical, omitting the ones that are dive specific like date/time/depth that are downloaded from the computer.

What would be nice is if I could specify the fields to be checked by default. One way to do it may be to have a default master template that a new template would be based on. Even nicer would be a template editor that you could open a template, populate the logbook form, make changes, then resave the template or save to another name.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You don't have to check all fields manually, just click one of the toolbar buttons to check all fields or to invert the checked fields:
Image1.png
Image1.png (14.03 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
You can also click one of the existing templates in the list on the left and use it as base for the new template. All fields from the existing template are automatically checked and can be used for the new template. I think this is what you've meant.

See also: https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1360