Dive Site Coordinates

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
GHDave

Dive Site Coordinates

Post by GHDave »

Hi!

I love the program. However I find the procedure to enter dive site coordinates into Dive Site Details a bit cumbersome. I wish there were fields on the Logbook page where one simply could enter lat and long, in one's chosen format, then, perhaps if a box is ticked, display those sites on the map. I can simply note the coordinates in the Comments field, but it would be fun to have them show up on a map.

I've also not been successful in importing waypoints into Dive Site Details. When I try to import them from a .gpx file (created by Garmin's Mapsource) no waypoints show up to be imported, and when I try to import them directly from the GPS the program crashes.

Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Dive Site Coordinates

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you, I'm glad you like Diving Log! This feature is already available. You have to add dive sites to the dive site details window, where you can simply enter the corrdinates in a text field in different formats:

Then you link your dives to dive sites by clicking the chain icon in the logbook window above the dive site field. The dive sites will also show up on the map:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=990
https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1297

Kind regards,
Sven
GHDave

Post by GHDave »

When I posted the original post I was in Belize in February. I haven't messed with the program much since. I how have 6.0 and am just beginning to play with it.

I still wonder why there can't just be fields in the Logbook window for lat & long, with perhaps a check box which says "Show on Map" instead of what seems to be a separate database of "Dive Site Details" which is then linked to the main database.

Also, I don't seem to be able to import a .gpx file directly. When I go to Details, Dive Site Details, Import, GPX File, then select the relevant file, an empty list of waypoints comes up, along with "Select the waypoint which should be imported:" Interestingly, when I open the same .gpx file in Google Earth, then save it as a .kml, the import function works (using Import, Google Earth, obviously).

What then seems to work is to import a waypoint into the Dive Site Details, rename it (if necessary) to the exact dive site name as it is in the Logbook, then in the Logbook at the same dive listing click [whatever that symbol is called which consists of three horizontal parallel lines] and click "Convert to Linked".

I do wish there were a way to just enter lat & long right in the Logbook and have the site appear on a map - the current way works, it's just a little more trouble.

I should certainly note that the above is a minor complaint about a great program!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

This data is not stored in a different database, it's all in your logbook database. You can add this way data which stays the same, e.g. buddies, countries and dive sites. That way you don't have to enter the same data over and over again, you just link these dive sites to your dives. Otherwise you would have to enter the coordinates again for every dive at this dive site. Additionally you can add other information like dive site maps/photos. So this system is less work for dive sites where you dive more than one time.

Additionally, if you would store the coordinates directly in each dive, every dive would appear as a new dive site flag on the map. So you would have lots of duplicate flags on the map.

Here you can read more about linked data like dive sites, so you better understand the system of relational data:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=1914

Please send me the *.gpx file, which does not import to info (at) divinglog.de
GHDave

Post by GHDave »

Thanks, Sven! After reading the blog post (Linked and unlinked data) it all makes a great deal more sense!

I have emailed you the .gpx that won't import, as requested.

One question: If I have many dives at a place called Red Rocks, for example, I apparently have to convert each "Dive Site" showing "Red Rocks" individually to Linked? It appears that "Convert All to Linked" converts every dive site in the whole logbook to linked, correct? It would be nice to be able to convert every instance of "Red Rocks" to linked all at once.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You only have to select the linked dive site from the dropdown list (those with the chain icon). Or just type the first letters in the dive site box, e.g. "Red" and Diving Log will auto complete the rest: