better ways to sync?

Discussions about the smartphone versions
scubal

better ways to sync?

Post by scubal »

I have been using DL for may years - on Win and ipad.
Love the program - but the sync really lets it down between devices.
On the ipad you have sync via Wifi or icloud
BUT
On the windows app you ONLY have sync via wifi
....which means unless you have wifi between the two devices you cant sync....which in these days of cloud everything is a real limitation! I have icloud client on my Win PC - so why cant the Win client use that if the Ipad client can?
Or why cant they both use Dropbox - or any other common file sync platform?

Most of the other apps I use have the ability to sync through various cloud services - could this be added to DL please?
Thanks
Al
r1cksm1th

Re: better ways to sync?

Post by r1cksm1th »

There is supposed to be an update for the iPad version that will allow you to synch the same way that you can with the Android app (using Dropbox).
Devs told me it was due around the end of June so expect it anytime soon. :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, as far as I know Dropbox is in the works. iCloud is a little bit difficult, because Apple requires the same developer ID to accecss the same iCloud storage. As I'm not the iOS Dive Log developer, I cannot access the same iCloud storage that is used by the iOS app.

Btw, you can also sync via WiFi if your're not connected to a router (e.g. on a boat) by setting up a "WiFi Direct" connection between Windows and the iOS device. This works even without internet.
hiway12

Post by hiway12 »

long time user of Diving log (Windows) and have always kept my files on Google Drive. Is there any expectation to support that platform in the future? Never use Dropbox
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I try to add Google Drive when there is an API that I can use with the development system I'm using for the Android app. In the meantime you can use the Google Drive app on your Android device to upload and download the logbook file from the "Diving Log" folder on the device to the "Divelog" folder in Google Drive.