Problem with units on Windows Phone application

Discussions about the smartphone versions
SwamiMacGyver

Problem with units on Windows Phone application

Post by SwamiMacGyver »

I use Imperial units, and when I go into Settings the first time I start Diving Log on Windows Phone, the slider bars are to the right, but the units listed on the left side are metric. All of the units on my dives are correctly listed in Imperial units, but it's a little confusing to go into Settings and see the units listed as meters.

Also, it doesn't look like the calculations page adjusts for the setting. Again, I use Imperial, and my dive units are all Imperial. On the Calculations page, the Nitrox calculations asks for bar instead of PSI. The SAC page accurately asks for PSI.

Two minor issues :-) Great app!

-Mike
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Problem with units on Windows Phone application

Post by divinglog »

Hi Mike

Thank you! Which sync function do you use, Dropbox or one of the online logbooks? Normally Diving Log stores everything internally in metric units and just calculates imperial units for display. So when the sliders are on metric, but your units are displayed in imperial something might be wrong. What happens when you switch all sliders to imperial units?

Kind regards,
Sven
SwamiMacGyver

Post by SwamiMacGyver »

I use YourDiveLog.com, but I'm not sure that the problem is with the synchronization. I think it's a simple bug with the display in the settings.

When I first go to settings, here's what I see:
Units in Divelogs are Imperial
Slider is to the right
Descriptions to the left of the slider are in Metric

When I push the "Metric" button
Units in Divelogs are Metric
Slider is to the left
Descriptions to the left of the slider are in Metric

When I push the "Imperial button
Units in Divelogs are Imperial
Slider is to the right
Descriptions to the left of the slider are in Imperial

The only other bug is that the text description next to the text box in the Nitrox calculation page never switches to PSI. It only ever displays "bar"
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Mike

Thank you, I can reproduce the settings bug. The labels on the sliders are wrong when using imperial units and when opening the settings dialog the next time, so ignore them for now. When the sliders are to the right you are using imperial units, when they are on the left you are using metric units. The buttons at the bottom just switch all sliders at once, so you don't have to switch all of them one by another. I will fix the label bug in the next update scheduled for end of November (Mango version only).

The Nitrox calculation is more or less by design and not a bug. I'm not so familar with the Imperial system, but I thought that the PO2 value in the Nitrox calculation is also in bar in imperial units. Are you sure PO2 is entered in psi? In the desktop Nitrox calculator I'm using also bar in imperial units for years and no one told me so far it should be in psi. It's easy to change, but I want be sure that it's the correct way in imperial units.

Thank you,
Sven
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Mike

I just asked Greg from the iOS Dive Log who is from the US and thus more familar with the imperial system. Acutally PSI would be wrong in that place and the correct label is atmosphere (atm), which is the same value as bar but more common in imperial units. So I'll replace the bar label with "atm" when imperial units are used, but the calculation won't change and you would still enter something between 1.4 and 1.6 atm (bar).

Kind regards,
Sven