Cannot Sync to Samsung Galaxy S2

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Trev07

Cannot Sync to Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by Trev07 »

Hello there,
I have recently purchased both Diving Log for my pc and also Dive Log for my Android phone. (Samsung Galaxy S2)
In Diving Log i have entered 11 dives with all relevant information and the program works very well. However when i try to sync to my phone, it is not recognised, so i select the option "Click to select Dive Log Folder". So i select this and navigate to the phone, select the sd Card, and then select the divelog folder. Once i have highlighted the folder, the option to open it is NOT highlighted so therefore i cannot select it to sync with.
Are you able to assis me please.....

Have attached a screen shot of the connection issue;
Dive_Log_Issue.JPG
Dive_Log_Issue.JPG (43.46 KiB) Viewed 22258 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Sync to Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by divinglog »

Hi

You have to select another USB connection mode in the settings of the phone. Currently the phone is in a special connection mode and not in a standard USB mode (you can see the phone icon instead of a normal drive icon). Diving Log can export only to normal drives with a drive letter.

If you can't find another connection mode you have to export to a temporary folder on your hard drive and use Windows Explorer to copy the file to the dive log folder.

Kind regards,
Sven
Petrus

Post by Petrus »

Hi,

I'm a user of exactly the same configuration you have and I can assure you it works .

The procedure I follow is as follows:

Connect S2 to PC

Then on the phone lower the notifcation screen the top
You should have 2 lines saying :
USB Connected
Select to copy to/from your computer
if you select this, you get a screen with the andoid logo holding an usb stick.

there should be a button at the bottom saying USB Storage
if you click this
you should get a regular Removable drive with all you Android folders and data
If you select that drive from Dive log, you can synch ..

If you have Kies installed, you may need to deinstall this to work as I don't have kies installed
You may also wish to check on you phone the following :
Settings...
Applications...
Development....
to see if you have the usb debugging checkbox ticked
Trev07

Post by Trev07 »

Hi Petrus,
Thank you very much. It now works.
Problem i had was the Debug checkbox was not enabled

Appreciate your assistance.

Trev
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day,

I'm having similar problems with my new Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running Android 2.3.5.

I've managed to export the data from Diving Log 5.0.5 under Windows 7 to a directory on the PC drive producing a 396 KB TXT file.

I've then copied the *.txt file from the PC into the GT-7000/Phone/divelog directory on the phone.

I can then run "Restore Log from Memory Card" option in Android Dive Log Pro. This produces a "Restore incomplete (see /mnt/sdcard/divelog/diver_import.log)" message.

I can find a diver_import.log and dives_import.log file as hidden files on the Android but can't see them from the PC. I haven't figured out how I can get them onto the PC and look at them or send them to you. (I'm new to Android.)

All of the dives seem to be there. No graphs of dive profiles. No handling of multiple gasses. No Personal (ICE) details, including no certifications or memberships.

In statistics I see "NaN" for the average weights, dive ratings don't seem to have been picked up. Boat/shore dive types don't seem to have been picked up.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hello Lloyd

Android Dive Log is not using the same logbook format and thus not all data is available. If you have specific feedback or questions it is better to email Rob directly or contact him via PM: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=812

Best regards,
Sven
DiveMonster

Post by DiveMonster »

Hi Divers,

I'm new to this forum, so please be relaxed when I ask some silly question:
I have my logbook at www.divelogs.de and can syncronize with my PC easily.
But with the logbook on my Galaxy S2 even with the key installed I can not
syncronize as I can not find any function for it.

What do I wrong? Or is it not possible to syncronize from the S2 to the internet?

Regards and thanks for your help

Mike
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Mike

No, Android Dive Log cannot synchronize with online logbooks at the moment. You have to use the USB connection:

https://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/android.php

Kind regards,
Sven
DiveMonster

Post by DiveMonster »

Hi Sven, after reading and trying it was working. Befor you connect the S2 to the PC via cable you have to go to "Settings" in the Home screen and activate the "USB-Connection" and follow the screen. Now the Diving Log software was able to synconize. BUT only the last 5 dives (from total 11 @ Diving Log) can be seen on the S2 Dive Log software :?:

What do I wrong?

Regards

Mike
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Mike

Please send the "dives.txt" file from the divelog folder on your Galaxy S2 to Rob Knapen (robkn007 (at) gmail.com), so he can check what is going wrong on the import.

Kind regards,
Sven
Grayedy

Post by Grayedy »

Hi Sven, I had similar troubles to Lloyd above, I solved them by using Dropbox (suggested in another post) and then using the "my files" to move them to the SD card folder. Although time consuming it seems to work, the basic dive data does copy across.

I echo Lloyds frustration that few of the features of Dive Log 5.0 carry across to the Andriod. I just swithched from an Apple where the functionality and all the features of the program were maintained. Not having the graphic profile and having to re-enter dive specifics is more than just a little frustrating.
The program doesn't provide a SAC even though it has all the data required to do so.

Hopefully it will not be too long before the transfer issue is fixed and the functionality and features are brought up to par with the Apple version.

Graham Edwards
Ottawa, Canada
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Graham

I try to implement a fix for the locked "OK" button in the next update to make it a little easier. Regarding the file format and feature set I cannot do much, because the Android Dive Log is not developped by me. But Rob told me that he wants to extend the functionality later this year. Unfortunately I can't develop for all kind of devices and have to focus on one platform, so I develop for Windows PC, tablet and phone. For iOS and Android I'm cooperating with other developers.

Kind regards,
Sven
Graggs

Post by Graggs »

Hi Guys,
I've just gone through all this pain and share the sentiments of the guys above. I know you haven't developed the Android app Sven but it's a massive shame that there isn't a more advanced app that you could work with or that the developer isn't in a position to move his app on.

As a note, I found it's necessary to:
On the Galaxy S2, go into Settings
Select More.....
Select USB utilities
Select the Connect storage to PC
Connect your USB cable to the phone and PC
The Android phone will then display a screen - read the text and press the Turn on USB storage
A new dialogue will be popped, read the text the click OK

Now go to Diving Log 5 on the PC and export Click Click to select DiveLog folder
NOTE:
You won't see a phone icon, the storage card in your phone has been mapped to a drive by Windows, you should see an extra drive letter....it could be anything, so I really can't help here.

Click on the new Drive Letter and you will see a bunch of folders, if there's a folder called divelog you're in the right place. Click on it (the folder!)

Now, click on Send to Device

IMPORTANT
Once it's copied, you must demount the drive from Windows....do this properly
on W7 there should be an icon of a USB plug in the system tray (bottom right of the screen)

Eject the Drive you found, it may have a description of SAMSUNG Android or similar

Or search on the web for Safely Remove Hardware or Eject Media then your operating system.

Now return to your phone, click on the Turn off USB Storage this will allow Dive Log Pro to access the data....if you don't do this your phone software cannot use the SD card.

In Dive Log Pro, click on Exchange and Restore Log from Memory Card NOTE This will over-write any existing Data on you Phone Log.

I hope this helps?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you very much for the comprehensive tutorial! I'm sure it will help a lot of users. Btw, I'm now in contact with 2 Android developers and hopefully it will turn into more app choice in the future - we'll see...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've just uploaded a first beta with an export to SCUBALog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878