Snyc issue

Discussions about the smartphone versions
John

Snyc issue

Post by John »

Not sure if you can help.
I recently reformated my computer and lost my desktop files, I thought no worries I will just sync with my Iphone and all will return!!!! This was correct I was able to sync all but the dive equip used on each dive none of this information went across. I tried to do another sync with no sucess. Just to clarify this is the information in the additional tab in the logbook, for equipment. The equipment, locations and divetypes and buddies all came across just not the equip used. Is there any other way apart from entering this for each and every dive indervidually?

Thanks again
John
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Snyc issue

Post by divinglog »

Hi John

The equipment itself should be there, but only the checkboxes are missing, is this right? This is related to the internal linking. If you import the data from the iPhone into a complete empty logbook on the desktop, the internal auto IDs won't match anymore and thus the checkboxes won't appear. This could happen also to linked buddies, locations and dive types.

If you still have your original desktop logbook anywhere I recommend you use this one for future syncing. Otherwise the only way would be unfortunately to select your equipment again for each dive. If you've used the same equipment for a large number of dives, you can do this very quickly in the table editor:

- Select the equipment for the first dive and save the dive
- Open the logbook table from the main toolbar in Diving Log
- Click the edit button on the right side
- Scroll to the right until you see the "UsedEquip" column
- Click the field of the first dive (it should contain some numbers separated by commas)
- Press Ctrl-C to copy the values
- Select the fields of all dives which had the same equipment
- Press Ctrl-V to paste the values into all selected fields
- Click Apply Changes in the toolbar

This will apply the selected equipment to all dives.

Kind regards,
Sven
John

Post by John »

Thankyou Sven
Yes that is correct its just the check boxes and yes the linked info you have listed. Thankyou for the information about the table editor I wasn't aware of this and it will help.
On another note, on the front page in the logbook am I able to remove some of the options within the the dive suit: (Catorgory) 1 piece, 2 piece and some of the others I have added?

Thanks again for all your help and I wish I could locate a copy of my desktop dive log but I have lost it somehow. I managed to keep a copy of my wife's and somehow I have 3 copies of her's and none of mine.

Cheers
John
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi John

The drop down list (e.g. for dive suit) is filled from your logbook, so when you don't use a particular item anymore in any of your dives, it will disappear automatically.

Kind regards,
Sven
friisco

Re: Snyc issue (Sync issue)

Post by friisco »

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem with a subtle difference; my "main" logbook has been created on iPhone and the Diving Log 5.0 has been installed and synced after from mobile to PC to an empty catalog. I have lost the relation from Dives to equipment as well. To make things worst, I have made modifications in Windows Diving Log the synced back to iPhone, and i'm not really sure which data is wrong now...

It is unfortunate to have such issue in between such great softwares, do you plan to fix this issue in future version? if not possible :cry: then add a warning to inform newbbies to this issue.

Best regards
frisco
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi frisco

I'm sorry that you had trouble with this issue! I'm trying to work around this problem with the planned database update (because this is mainly a problem of the database structure). You can try to revert your original logbook file on the iPhone by pressing in the sync dialog the red button. If I remember right this allows you to restore the previous logbook, but you must do this before doing another sync to the iPhone. I hope this helps you to restore your original data.

Best regards,
Sven
friisco

Post by friisco »

Hi,

Planned update ? This is good news... Regarding my issue, i will suspend using sync until your update is available and i will finish inserting dives from my paper logbook to Diving log in iphone.

You have already a date planed for this release? :angelic:

Thank you and keep making such good software

Best regards
Frisco
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Frisco

Sorry, no release date yet, it's difficult to say a specific date as I'm working on many features. This issue is very rare and happens only when a logbook is started on the iPhone. Most users start on the desktop by importing their dives from the dive computer. This way the problem won't happen and you can sync back and forth.

Kind regards,
Sven