Editing values in drop-down lists

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
tscheven

Editing values in drop-down lists

Post by tscheven »

Sven,

I'm really enjoying 4.x and am looking forward to the 5.0 beta.

Can you tell me if it's possible to edit/delete the values in the drop-down lists? i.e. Dive Location, City/Island, Buddy, etc? I've got some errant data and spelling mistakes and would like to be able to make changes.

Thanks,

Todd.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Editing values in drop-down lists

Post by divinglog »

Hi Todd

Thank you! These lists are generated dynamically, so if an entry is not used anymore in any dive it will disapper. In version 5.0 Diving Log will autmatically update all dives when you have linked an item and rename it. When you delete a linked item, you have also several options to update all dives linked to this item.

If you have errors in non linked items, you can use the new search and replace function in the table editor to fix them and the errors will then disappear from the dropdowns.

Sven
tscheven

Post by tscheven »

Where can I learn about linked items? I'm not really sure how to use them.

I checked the FAQ, but didn't find anything useful and I don't see an HLP file or the like.

Thanks.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You can link an item (Country, City, Site or Buddy) by clicking the chain icon. When you link an item you can enter more detailed information about this item. For indication the text will be displayed in blue color in version 4.0.

But this makes only sense when you really want to enter detailed information. When you enter the text directly in the text box the item is not linked and the text is displayed in black color. In version 5.0 linked items will be displayed with a chain icon (instead of the blue color), unlinked items with a pencil like in the screenshot:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/wp-content ... indow7.png

And linking in version 5.0 can be done by selecting a linked item from the drop down.
rajesh

Post by rajesh »

Well, after a deep search about it... I find this thread.

I want to use always linked values but I have a large list of unlinked from my first version of DL.

I want to delete this list and get always the linked values.

And... when you configure a layout to apply for a group of dives... you will get unlinked values by default...

Sven, could you check it, please?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I want to add a way to automatically convert unlinked items into linked items in future. When using linked items in templates, make sure to include the ID field in the template, e.g. for Place and PlaceID or Country and CountryID. The ID field is responsible for the linking.