Report designer and transparent images

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
froop

Report designer and transparent images

Post by froop »

Is it possible to get the report designer to support transparent images?
I'm trying to use the first image attached to a log entry as the background for the logbook page. But instead of having to photoshop the image to make it lighter so that I can read the log book pages.

What I am trying to do is layer an image between the background image and the text. The image is a PNG which is mostly 100% transparent, but the areas which have text are white rectangles that are 25% transparent. The effect is perfect using the report designer, but when I preview or print the logbook, any areas of the image that have transparency appear all black.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Report designer and transparent images

Post by divinglog »

I searched the newsgroup of the report designer company and it seems to be an old problem. I found threads from 2002 from users requesting transparent image support, but no luck. It seems it is still not included. Too bad and I also don't understand why the designer supports them, but not in the final print or export. I'm sorry, it seems we're out of luck.
froop

Post by froop »

Oh well, thanks for looking into it for me. I suppose that's the price you have to pay for using a third party product - not always being able to do exactly what you want. But certainly the power of the reporting engine add a lot to DivingLog. Except transparent images :)
froop

Post by froop »

On a slightly related topic, is it possible to get the photo descriptions into the report designer? There's the 5 photo fields, but nothing obviously to refer to the photo descriptions.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You're right, the descriptions are missing. I'll add them during the .NET conversion, thank's for pointing this out!