Problems with Vista

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
AndyDragon

Problems with Vista

Post by AndyDragon »

Cannot view logbook on Vista Ultimate w/ Office 2007 installed. When trying to view the logbook, there is a Win32 exception in the kernel leading from the Office code. The exception is an 'Inexact floating point exception'. Even running the application in compatibility does not fix the issue. Until this is fixed, I cannot use this software on my Vista machine.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Andy

I'll have here also Vista with Office 2007 and no problems, so it will be not easy to find the cause of the crash. Is it only the logbook window which cause the crash or any other window, too? I'm not sure if it has something to do with Office, because in the logbook no special Office features should be used. I think it could be also a 3rd party software like a security suite.

Is it only after the last update or was it also before?

Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

I has happened with all the versions I've downloaded since running Vista. I will try to get some more repro steps and some stack traces for you soon to hopefully find out why this might be happening.

One quick question...I run Vista with UAC turned off...the first change to any Vista machine I use is to turn off UAC. It solves many problems but does introduce the odd strange occurance. I know OceanLog ran with UAC on but not with UAC off for part of their latest beta, but since then it seems stable either way.

Again, I'll try to get you some more info tomorrow or the next day.
Andrew Forget
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Andy

I've deactivated UAC and the error does not come up, so I fear that it will be really difficult to find the problem. I don't think that it's a general Vista / UAC / Office 2007 problem. What you can try: If you have Diving Log installed in "C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0", try to install it to another partition, if available. Because Vista protects the Program Files folder very strictly this could cause some problems (normally it should not). I've installed all my programs on D:\ so I can leave UAC on without being too annoying. Also try to deactivate temporary your security suite and see if the error still occurs. I've tried on Vista several security programs and a lot of them caused problems.

Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Sven,

Much as I suspected, I turn UAC back on and suddenly everything works.

I did some testing with UAC off and it seems the 'inexactly floating point' message is some strange failure due to the application dying due to the welcome screen handling. If I close the welcome screen and choose toolbar buttons and panel items, I get a much different error. Most of the errors are problems with loading .ocx files (richtx32.ocx and mscomct2.ocx). I have these files and they ARE registered correctly. I noticed that running the SDK Depends.exe tool and loading those files both with UAC off and on leads to a warning about unresolved imports, but those are for delay-loaded modules.

Here is a breakdown of the errors with UAC off:

From Welcome Page:
View logbook fails
Insert dive fails

Toolbar buttons:
Open works
Print crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'richtx32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Pocket PC works
Details crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'mscomct2.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Details -> xxx crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'mscomct2.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
User Information crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'mscomct2.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Equipment crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'mscomct2.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Logbook crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'richtx32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Table toolbar crashes (Run-time error '339', Component 'mscomct2.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid)
Browser works
Search works
Units works
Calculate works

Statistics pane:
Overview works
Locations works
Buddies works
Divetypes works

There seems to be some interaction between UAC being off and loading the OCX COM modules. I've looking all around the net and found plenty of messages about this problem, but few solutions. I will continue to debug the issue.
Andrew Forget
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You can try to switch UAC on, install Diving Log (complete setup) and turn UAC off, maybe this will register the ocx controls correct. This would be very strange, but I don't wonder about anything on Vista and I remember that I've read some installation instruction for a Microsoft product where they said that UAC should be turned on during installation.

Make also sure that you've logged on as administrator during installation, even with UAC turned off.