Problems with Suunto Downloader and S. Stinger

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Ben

Problems with Suunto Downloader and S. Stinger

Post by Ben »

Hi,
Maybe one of you faces the same problem:
Since I installed the latest version of Diving Log I do not manage to download dive profiles with Suunto Downloader (2.9.6.7) directly into the log.
The only way is to download dives with Suunto Dive Manager and import those with Diving Log.
What happens: After connecting the Stinger it is recoqnized by DL and it will start downloading the dive profiles. After that job is done there is a message as : 'Can't Open File' and errorcode -1 appears !
What can I do ?
Might there be a problem with Windows Vista ?

Thanks for help !!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Ben

Try to use the new version of the downloader you can find in the menu

File > Import > Suunto Transfer (.NET 2.0)

In the download dialog click the "Advanced Settings" button and change the location of the "XML File" to your personal document folder (C:\Users\Your Username\Documents\SuuntoXML.xml)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Sven, but that did not make any difference !
It works as before:
After downloading the dive profiles it says: "Can't open file" as well as the errorcode: suuntoxml error -1 .
Do you probably have another option ?

Thanks !
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Did you run the Suunto downloader on Vista before the update successfully? Or is it a new install on this computer?

If it is a new install:

If you have installed Diving Log into "C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0" and you have another harddrive or partition you can try to uninstall and install it to another drive than C:\

We are currently not sure what the problem could be. Maybe Vista is blocking the temporary download file on C:\ drive, but it is not for sure. I'm using Vista, but have no Suunto to test the download itself.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Before the update I did run Diving Log succesfully on Vista, including direct downloading the dive profiles in Diving Log ! Sorry !
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, then you don't have to make any changes, we'll try to figure out the problem.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Sven.
I will try to reinstall the program on another drive anyway !
Lets keep eachother posted !
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sven,
Reinstalling Diving Log on another than the C: drive seemed to be the only solution. Now everything works as it should. .... Including downloading my Stinger right into Diving Log !!
Thanks anyway !
TheULi

Post by TheULi »

hello,

i have the same problem with a Vyper and Diving Log 4.0.9
installed on drive C.

starting Diving Log with administrator permissions the old (not .NET) works fine.
the .NET download fails with: Runtime Error and then SuuntoXML Error: -1
while "downloading dive profile"

without administrator permissions:
old DL: Can't open file ... Fehlernummer -1
.NET DL: same as with admin permission

greetings
ULi
Last edited by TheULi on Wed Jan 09, 2008 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Uli,

In my case, the only solution was to reinstall Diving Log on another than the C:\ drive. I did so, and now everyhting is working as it should do. Just the welcome screen does not open, but that I do not need.

ciao[/img]
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm just about releasing a new version of the Suunto downloader which should also work on C:\

Give me 2 or 3 hours...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Does that mean you've recognized the same problem, Sven ?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

No, not myself, but I don't have a Suunto here to test. But there are several people having this problem since the last update. I think it is how Vista handles wrinting into C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0

Vista redirects all file write commands into a virtual folder, normally it works without problem, but it seams that the new downloader search the file in C:\Program Files... and not in the virtual folder.

I'm now changing the temporary XML file into the Temp folder by default where the downloader should have full access.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks, Sven, looking forward to it !!!! 8)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, I have a version to try. Its not yet the complete change, but I found something I want to test first. Please download this zip file: Downloader.zip

Extract it into the Diving Log program folder and replace the old files. Then start Diving Log, the .NET 2.0 downloader, press "Advanced Settings" and then the "Reset" button and "OK". Then try the download.