Referencing a drive by name not a letter

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
vs72

Referencing a drive by name not a letter

Post by vs72 »

I would like to have my log book to a usb stick where everything is stored, including any dive pics.

I have realized that the corresponding table in the access file is getting the file name by referencing to the drive letter when the association when made, eg D:\folder\pic.jpg

The thing is that the usd stick would be d:\ in one computer and e:\ on another. However it has a name which remains constant.

Is there a way to refer in the database to the name of the usb stick and not the drive letter?

Thanks
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

I don't know about named drives but I know several of us have requested relative paths and search paths for filenames, and that Sven has said this will be implemented in the next major version release.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm not sure if I can access drives by name (and not by the full path including drive letter) from within the program, but I can take a look. But as reefhound said, I'm planning to make more path options available, such as relative paths.

Another hint: You can change the drive letter of USB sticks in the "Computer Mangement > Disk Mangement" of Windows (connect the USB stick before opening this dialog). And Windows should remember the stick when you connect it the next time. So you can change the letter on both computers to E:\ and the problem should be solved.