Country's / Cities / Locations

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
WARLOCK

Country's / Cities / Locations

Post by WARLOCK »

Is there a database I can import with all dive site or do I have to create them manually ?
WARLOCK

Post by WARLOCK »

Another request, can you please have the Dive Palces linked to a City and a City Link to a Country.

i.e
If I select Egypt as the country when I drop the list down from cities I'll only see the cities in egypt or/and only see the Dive places in egypt if. I select a dive place it will automatically select the correct city. Or if I select a ctiy it will only show me those dive places.

It' might be an Idea to allow multiple cites for one dive place i.e

You can dive the same reef from El-Gouna and Hagarda in egypt.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

There is currently unfortunately no dive site database or exchange. You can already link the locations by clicking the small info icon on the right side of each field. In the detail window you can check one entry an click OK to link it with this dive.

But even without this linking (which is optional), the dropdowns are already filtered. If you enter or select a country, only the cities are displayed in the dropdown which are in this country. Or do you mean something different?

Sven
WARLOCK

Post by WARLOCK »

Cool no that's what I mean, I was probably not using the app properly,

I must say great App.

I have another question :

Can you import dives from and xls spread sheet, reason I ask I have over 100 dive and they are all written dwon I want to enter basic information into a spread sheet which would be easier than in the app, then import it and then update it with missing info ?
WARLOCK

Post by WARLOCK »

Hi just had a look and the linking works but only forwards not backwards,

i.e if I create a new dive and selece the Dive Palce it does not automatically populate the ctiy and country locations. This would be useful and quick.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you 8) Diving Log uses a Microsoft Access database as logbook file, so you can open it in Access and enter dives directly in the database table, or you use Access to import from Excel. You can also take a look at a video about the template function, which is helpful for entering or update a lot of dives.

Your suggestion about the backwards auto filling is great! I'll make some more thoughts about it, but it should be no problem to implement this. Thank you!
WARLOCK

Post by WARLOCK »

WARLOCK wrote:Another request, can you please have the Dive Palces linked to a City and a City Link to a Country.

i.e
If I select Egypt as the country when I drop the list down from cities I'll only see the cities in egypt or/and only see the Dive places in egypt if. I select a dive place it will automatically select the correct city. Or if I select a ctiy it will only show me those dive places.

It' might be an Idea to allow multiple cites for one dive place i.e

You can dive the same reef from El-Gouna and Hagarda in egypt.

Ok, I have had a play around with Diving Log and the above problem still stands......

I'll explain :

If a insert a new dive by selecting the country from the drop down menu and the same for cities and Dive locations the cities and dive locations are filtered but this seems to only be a history feature, because text remains balck and if I look in the logbook table of the access database the countrid/cityid/placeid are all empty.

However if I create a new dive by selecting the info icon and check the box for the counrty and then thesame for cities and dive location the text goes blue and the countrid/cityid/placeid are populated with the correct information. The problem with this method is there are no filters, you see all the cities and all the dive location.
What would be good is to have a check box option in the ciities and dive location details window to show all, if unchecked then you only see the cities that are linked to the country you selectd and same for dive locations, if unchecked then you get to see them all.

I have had a look through Diving Log and can't see how this affect it other than the text being blue or black, but it does cause a problem for phpdiviniglog if countrid/cityid/placeid are empty then a search on dive sites does not count those dive with out this information and does not link the dive as related.

I hope this all makes sense ?

EDIT: What would be better over and above the show all check box, if useing the drop down lists then this populates the countrid/cityid/placeid fields.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, when the entries from the dropdowns are used no linking is done. But I want to improve this in version 5.0 to make it more easy, also with better filtering and such things. At the moment the linking in Diving Log only affect the logbook browser, where you can click the location and get the details and in the logbook dialog you'll get some tooltips when hovering the info icon of a linked dive.
WARLOCK

Post by WARLOCK »

Nice one : Can't wait till it's released, the linking function is just a nice feature to have not a must.

:wink: