Saving / Backing Up

Post by Shipwreck »

Hi all,

I have just re-installed Windows & loaded the newest update 4.8
I notice that when I save/backup my log book I can do it in two diferent ways:

File / Save Logbook as & save it as an .mdb file

or

File / Logbook Maintenance / Logbook Backup

Can I asume that the information saved is the same for both? I realise that I can set it to autosave on closing. Lastly when I imported my Log, it did not save my "User" information. Is this normal & could I save it in future?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Roy.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Roy

Be carefull: when you use the "Save as" function the logbook file will be copied to the new location and opened. So any further changes will be done in the new logbook file and the original will stay untouched. It is the same behaviour as when you "Save as" a Word document.

When you use the backup function, the logbook file will be copied to the new location but the original file will stay opened and any further changes will occur in the original file. But in both cases the whole file is copied with all data.

The autosave backup function performs a backup when closing Diving Log. It does not save any unsaved data in any open window. So make sure to save all data before closing Diving Log or any dialog. The new autosave option in the logbook saves only the logbook window data, not from the other dialogs.

Kind regards,
Sven
Shipwreck

Post by Shipwreck »

Thanks Sven.
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

I like to just use File Explorer to copy the database file to a backups directory where I put various documents from all kinds of apps. It's a few extra manual steps but in the long run I've found it easier than trying to remember the backup procedures for a bunch of different apps. About once a month I burn a CD of this directory and others.