Can't find pictures

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Abyssdiver

Can't find pictures

Post by Abyssdiver »

Hello sven,

we are using your great progr for a few day's now, and we have a litte question.

We use the prgr on a desktop pc and on a laptop.
On, the laptop the pics we use are in a certain directory, but on the desktop pc they are in another directory. So when we open the logbook on the desktop pc we have no pic's cause the progr looks in another directory ( on the laptop). How can we avoid this. ?
for the rest great progr. , very useful.I recomended it to some of my friends.

Thx

Patrick
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Patrick

Thank you :) At the moment Diving Log save the absolute path to the picture in the logbook, so on both computers the pictures must be in the same location. I want to add more options like "relative path" in future versions and also a way to change it afterwards.

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

What about just having a global pathspec to search when a path is not specified? Then a user could set his pathspec to include the destination directories of both computers.
Abyssdiver

Post by Abyssdiver »

THx sven,

so if i understand correctly, the diretory on the laptop and the desktop have ot have the exact same name and path ?

pat
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

@reefhound: Yes, this is also an option I want to add (only store the filenames in the database and specify the path in the preferences).

@Abyssdiver: Yes, if the folder structure on both computer is equal Diving Log should display the images again.
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

One more thing on storing the path in the preferences, it would be nice to set this path and have a checkbox to denote the root as the location of the logbook database. Similar to how the BASEREF tag works in HTML.

To clarify, if my logbook is in a directory called My Logbook and I have a subdirectory there called My Images, then I'd like to set my image path as My Images (rather than the full explicit path). That way I can move this entire directory around without affecting paths or store this directory on a zip drive, which may pop up as different drive letters on different computers.
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Another suggestion on images - can you guess how I'm spending my day? Attaching multiple pictures to a dive can be a tedious process. How about allowing one to specify a directory only and the graphic viewer would just step through whatever images are in that directory. Then I could organize my dive pictures such as "My Images/Dive 1" for example.

This would make it easier to link a dive record to the images from that dive, prevent the database from getting bloated when there are many images on a dive, and allow one to add/delete images for a dive without changing the logbook.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

One more thing on storing the path in the preferences, it would be nice to set this path and have a checkbox to denote the root as the location of the logbook database. Similar to how the BASEREF tag works in HTML.

To clarify, if my logbook is in a directory called My Logbook and I have a subdirectory there called My Images, then I'd like to set my image path as My Images (rather than the full explicit path). That way I can move this entire directory around without affecting paths or store this directory on a zip drive, which may pop up as different drive letters on different computers.
Yes, I want to add the option "Relative Path" which means relative to the database location.
How about allowing one to specify a directory only and the graphic viewer would just step through whatever images are in that directory.
This should be possible. But you can also add more files at once if you select all pictures in the "Open File" dialog. This way you can add a whole directory if you click the last file, then Shift and the first file.