Numerical Entries

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
wvd_vegt

Numerical Entries

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

I noticed that at various points in diving log you can enter numerical entries with both ',' and '.' in them.

For instance i can enter 5.2 as dive time which will convert to 52 when saved but 5,2 will stay 5,2.

It's best to stick to the decimal separator and at least convert the decimal '.' into the decimal separator. It saves a lot of trouble when converting/exporting them to do calculations.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

This depends on your system configuration. In some countries the dot is the decimal seperator, in other the comma. Here in Germany the comma is for decimal and the dot the seperator between thousands, e.g.:

1.000,00 means in Germany one thousand

So the dot is ignored. The program interprets the value as in the system configuration setup. When you change the country setting to US the number above would be only 1. It would be not good if Diving Log overwrites these settings.
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

My point is that you should expand the . on the numerical keypad to the decimalseparator.

As thousandseparators are almost never entered (mainly used for display purposes) one can be safely turn them into a decimal separator wen entered. So typing 5,0 might become 5.0 when the decimal separator is a dot.

Keeping to the regional settings is a very good practice btw!
Wim van der Vegt