Install Error

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Romantic

Install Error

Post by Romantic »

I am trying to install on my laptop and I keep getting "During the copy process an error has occured." It is getting stuck on the comdlg32.ocx file. I have re-downloaded the install file twice and even copied the version I originally downloaded to my desktop. Same error.
Greg A Salyer
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Greg

Is there a way to skip this file during the setup? I think any program is preventing the file from beiing copied, try to close all other software or install it after a new reboot.

If everything won't help you can try to copy the whole Diving Log program folder from your desktop computer to your laptop, but then I assume some runtime files will be missing.
Jo

Re: Install Error

Post by Jo »

I'm getting this error too. (Reinstalling) Is there a fix for it?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jo

Is it the same file? There is no fix because the problem is not related to Diving Log or the setup program. Something on your computer is blocking the setup program. Make sure you're running the setup as administrator and that no other program is blocking the file.

Sven
Jo

Post by Jo »

divinglog wrote:Hi Jo

Is it the same file? There is no fix because the problem is not related to Diving Log or the setup program. Something on your computer is blocking the setup program. Make sure you're running the setup as administrator and that no other program is blocking the file.

Sven
Hi Sven,

I was running as administrator (windows xp) and had no other programs running.
The installer appeared to be replacing files that already existed and I couldn't find any real reason for the files failing to copy.

I decided to delete the file it got "stuck" on (comdlg32.ocx - which deleted without a problem, no file sharing or "in use" notices) and then re-ran the installer. The installer replaced the file with a new one (actually, a much older one than the one originally on my system) and then got stuck on a different file. It "stuck" on 6 files in total, all active X controls. Each time I deleted the file and let the installer replace it.

comdlg32.ocx
mscomct2.ocx
mscomm32.ocx
tabctl32.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
tssofficemenu1d.ocx

DL4 appears to be working now, but thought I'd reply as it may be of some use.

Thanks,
Jo
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jo

Thank you for the reply! The installer is a 3rd party product, so I'm not sure what happened in this case. Normally it don't overwrite any newer files with older ones and this problem seems to be very rare (the last time 2006 in this posting). I'm glad that it works now again. Let me know if you have any problems or missing files. I can send you all necessary files as zip file without installer.

Best regards,
Sven
Bavo

Post by Bavo »

Hi,
I have the same problem here to.
If downloaded the file and het the setup.
Is is a clean instal right after a reboot (No old version installed).
after about 80% it gives a error "During the copy process an error has occured."
The file it trys to copy is "Comdlg32.ocx" But the file is copyd in the folder "Backup".

Is it possible to send me those 6 missing files?
If i copy the missing files in the backup folder are those the last files to complete the diving log?

The programm looks very promising. Looks very good.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Into the backup folder only old files from the system folder will be copied, so these files are not necessary (at least in the backup folder). You can try to uncheck the backup checkbox during the setup, maybe then the setup will run smoothly.

Here you can download the 6 files if it doesn't work: Runtimes.zip

Let me know if you have still troubles.

Best regards,
Sven
Bavo

Post by Bavo »

Thx for the file.
First i installed the setup wifhout the backup option. No luck for me. :(
Then i copy the runtime files in to the root of the log folder (C:\Program Files\Diving Log 4.0) Is this correct?
Then i run the "Divelog" But now it asks for a diffrend file "Run-time error '339': vbalIml6.ocx". :(
Do you have this file to? :)

Thx for your help. :angelic:
bavo
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Bavo

No problem, here are all required runtime files: RuntimesAll.zip

I'm sorry for the inconveniences! :cry:

Sven
Bavo

Post by Bavo »

Hi,

No problem.
I gues the problem is getting bigger hahaha.
I copyd all the files to the root folder of the program.
When i start the program i get this error
Attachments
Error02.PNG
Error02.PNG (7.47 KiB) Viewed 9543 times
Error01.PNG
Error01.PNG (3.56 KiB) Viewed 9543 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Bavo

I don't think that this will work :cry: . Most of the files need to be registered into the system from the installer, so if the installation fails completely we're probably out of luck. Normally these files are located in the System32 folder of Windows and were registered with regsvr32 PathToDLL from the command line or "run" command. But this would be too much work.

I have absolutely no idea why the installer fails. Maybe you can try to extract the zip file content to the System32 folder and then try the installer again.
Bavo

Post by Bavo »

Ok, I copied all the files into the win32 folder.
Still no luck.
Is it possible to install a older version and upgrade to the new one?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

No, it would be the same installer with the same DLL files. The only way I see is that you try to install it on a different computer or wait a few month for version 5.0, because this one will be .NET based which means the end of the DLL hell. Version 5.0 will not have any files in the system folder. I'm really sorry, but I've no ideas what else could help at the moment. This must be a very specific problem, I'm testing every installer always on a fresh XP and Vista installation.
Bavo

Post by Bavo »

No problem,
I'm on holiday (Curacao). Diving offcourse. :-)
When i'm at home than i'l try it on a different computer.
thx for your help.
Lets wait for the 5.0 version.
Do i need to order the new 5.0 version?