Diving Log 'not Responding'

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
MarciaBernet

Diving Log 'not Responding'

Post by MarciaBernet »

I had been using this app successfully until last years Windows problem with an incompatible update (windows 7 Professional 64bit ). Despite that problem, I worked around it as well as I could to upload dives from my Wisdom 3.

I ran it a few days ago (and got the most recent release), and it took over 4 minutes to open the program.

Finally, the Welcome Center showed up and I selected "open Logbook"; another wait begins...and while I watch (via Task Manager) memory usage creeping upwards of 800,000 Kbytes, and threads go from 18 to 24..so far. Another 4 minutes of CPU.. waiting and wondering why it takes so long.

Simple question, is this normal? I am pretty sure I would have moved on from this application if it had behaved this way during my trial period. It didn't; I bought it, created report formats I love and then the Jan 2018 Windows problem fouled it all up.

It just loaded the logbook -- taking 7 minutes of CPU to do so.

Is this a new normal for the OS I'm running? Any other workarounds? I'm disinclined to remove Windows updates, but I would have thought subsequent releases of Windows updates or Divelog would have corrected this.

btw/ the divelog window opened at 11:29 of CPU and 1,273,900 K of memory. (not more than 175 dives in the log)

Thanks for any help with this, as I like the program and used to recommend it to other divers.....
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Diving Log 'not Responding'

Post by divinglog »

Hi

This is defenitely not normal. Are you running Diving Log in a virtual machine or on a normal PC? Which kind of security software have you installed? Security software is often causing these kind of issues. Is your logbook file on the local drive or a network drive and how big is your logbook file?

Kind regards,
Sven
MarciaBernet

Post by MarciaBernet »

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS. Windows updates are automatic and I do use Kaspersky for security and have been doing so for years.

Through all of 2017, there was never a problem like this, same machine, local copy of diving log with, at the time, about 135 dives. Importing from the old log processing software was accomplished; synchronizing with an Android was accomplished. I spent hours creating custom report pages (styled like what I had previously printed using Dive Manager from Suunto). No problems at all, so a very happy customer.

At the end of 2017, I had customized my data entry format and report formats, printed them to .pdf files, printed hard copies, etc. No hitches or hangups at all...

Plus the fact that the software worked directly from my new dive computer was a bonus (compared to import, export, etc.). It was a delight.

In Feb 2018, went on a dive trip, returned to upload dives from the Wisdom directly and process. In the meantime, some .NET framework issue was introduced (Jan 2018) by Microsoft with a security update. I tried the workarounds to no avail (remove some specific patch KB??, restart, etc. ). Now that its a year (and 12 Microsoft updates) later, I hoped Microsoft had fixed its issue. Also, allowed Diving Log to update,

The program opens, shows Welcome Center and takes a very long time to load if I select View Logbook. It is almost immediately "(Not Responding)" Yesterday, it crashed, but gave me the option to 'Continue using program', which I did, and I saved the "Details" from the crash report.

Today, it opened, eventually, then I was editing the User information and selected a picture to upload, moving on to Medical, I made an update to contact, hit OK and It reported an "Error Occurred" and there was an 'Unhandled Exception'. I copied the report and saved it to a file. It says 'system out of memory'. Task Manager is showing Divelog.exe using 1,341,180 K as a Working Set; next biggest is Chrome with 222,000 K. Six times as much memory.

I would be happy to share the exception logs if pursuing this is an option.

Regards,
Marcia Bernet
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Marcia

It is possible that your custom logbook layout is the cause of the problem. Please let me know the size of the *.lay file you're using in your logbook layout (you also can send it to me if you want). You find the files here:

C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Diving Log\Layouts

Please rename the file temporarily, so Diving Log can't find it. Then try to launch the application to see if it is now faster.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Marcia

Thank you for the file, it is indeed the cause of the problem. There was a bug in older Diving Log versions which caused this file to get bigger and bigger. Normally it is only a few KB in size, but yours is 5 MB. This bug is now fixed, but it requires you to save the layout file again. I've done that for you and send you the layout back via email.

If anyone else is having problems with slow loading times and is using a custom layout, please press this save button and overwrite your layout file:

Image1.png
Image1.png (18.72 KiB) Viewed 4856 times

Kind regards,
Sven
MarciaBernet

Post by MarciaBernet »

Thanks for the fix ; I am now happily back to work with customizing and updating my log book.