New features proposal and roadmap

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
gpoffet

New features proposal and roadmap

Post by gpoffet »

Hello,
I'm using Diving Log 6 for now a few weeks and I'm very happy with the software. I'm currently importing all my dives and I faced some limitation that are a bit annoying and a few new features would really be good.
So I take some time to describe what I think should really improve the experience, hopping that it could help for the next releases:

1. People that dives a lot have automatically visit a few sites that have the same name but are in different countries. For example, the Manta Point or Shark point or House reef sites exists in a lot of place. When you have to choose the site in the drop down list it's impossible to know which one to choose. Linking the dive site record with the coutry record would be great so the dive site proposal could be limited to the one in the selected country. Other option would be to automatically add the country name after the dive site name in the drop down list (not in the dive site name).
This should be extended to all records as dive site, holydays/trip, diveshop, city/island are all linked to a country

2. When in table mode it would be great to have an autocomplete when writing the name of a country, city, buddy, dive site etc.. I mean that if I start to write for example "Indo" in the country column it should propose to auto-fill with "Indonesia" and the country id will then be set automatically. Same for all column that have an external record that has to be linked with the id column.

3. In table mode, but also in form mode it should be possible to click on the object name (country, dive site etc...) to open the corresponding object info. This would allow a very quick access. Without that it's necessary vie the navigation bar to open the corresponding windows and navigate to the wanted record.
Edit: I realized that this feature is already partially available, hidden in the small menu right to the object. Same in table mode would be great.

4. Filling the dive sites coordinates are really a pain. An integration of Google map to point the dive site position would really be great (this would need an internet connection of course).

5. All the people using Diving Log have already filled a huge database. It would be really great to provide a community dive sites database. I would really be happy to share what I have already filled. For example, knowing that I will dive in Egypt in June I would be really happy to download an Egypt dive sites list to prepare the trip and make the dive insertion easier.

One more question: is there somewhere a roadmap of the soft ?
It would be cool to create a feature vote page where user could tell what would be the prefered missing feature :-)

Hope that all those idea will help.
Thanks a lot for the great job done!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: New features proposal and roadmap

Post by divinglog »

Hello

Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm glad you like Diving Log
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 1. People that dives a lot have automatically visit a few sites that have the same name but are in different countries. For example, the Manta Point or Shark point or House reef sites exists in a lot of place. When you have to choose the site in the drop down list it's impossible to know which one to choose. Linking the dive site record with the coutry record would be great so the dive site proposal could be limited to the one in the selected country. Other option would be to automatically add the country name after the dive site name in the drop down list (not in the dive site name).
This should be extended to all records as dive site, holydays/trip, diveshop, city/island are all linked to a country
Yes, this is an issue which I try to solve for a long time. There is a "soft" linking in place. When you've used a certain country-city-site combination in the past, it will automatically filter the lists. E.g. when you enter a country, only cities in that country will be shown in the list. After filling out the city, only dive sites from that city are shown. This works only in this order and when the fields were empty.
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 2. When in table mode it would be great to have an autocomplete when writing the name of a country, city, buddy, dive site etc.. I mean that if I start to write for example "Indo" in the country column it should propose to auto-fill with "Indonesia" and the country id will then be set automatically. Same for all column that have an external record that has to be linked with the id column.
That would be nice indeed. I have to check the documentation of the grid control if this is possible.
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 3. In table mode, but also in form mode it should be possible to click on the object name (country, dive site etc...) to open the corresponding object info. This would allow a very quick access. Without that it's necessary vie the navigation bar to open the corresponding windows and navigate to the wanted record.
Edit: I realized that this feature is already partially available, hidden in the small menu right to the object.
Yes, this is implemented in the "3 lines" menu on the right of the field (read more). Clicking the popup will open the details window with this entry.
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 4. Filling the dive sites coordinates are really a pain. An integration of Google map to point the dive site position would really be great (this would need an internet connection of course).
This is implemented in the map window (read more here, here and here)
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 5. All the people using Diving Log have already filled a huge database. It would be really great to provide a community dive sites database. I would really be happy to share what I have already filled. For example, knowing that I will dive in Egypt in June I would be really happy to download an Egypt dive sites list to prepare the trip and make the dive insertion easier.
This is implemented in the map window: Online dive site search
gpoffet wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 15:20 One more question: is there somewhere a roadmap of the soft ?
It would be cool to create a feature vote page where user could tell what would be the prefered missing feature
Unfortunately there is no road map or vote page yet. But I collect the feedback and try to implement the most requested features first :)

Kind regards,
Sven
gpoffet

Re: New features proposal and roadmap

Post by gpoffet »

Thanks a lot for your answers. Il will send you all feedback I have, hoping to help you improving the Diving Log.