Combobox List

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
wvd_vegt

Combobox List

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi

Is it by design that the main 4 comboboxes only show already used countries/dive locations etc? I would expect them to show all entries made in the ? mark dialogs.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I can add this feature that the list shows all entries, even unused from the detailed lists. But to link them with a dive you must click on the "?" button.

Kind regards,
Sven
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

There are a couple of things about those combo boxes that are confusing me.

It seems you need to click on the "i" icon to add a new country, city/island, dive location, or buddy. I think it would be less confusing if you had an "add" or "new" icon to click on to do this.

It also seems you need click on the "i" icon to actually select one or more valuess for one of the combo boxes.

Also, when you click on "i" to look at the details for a combo box selection (which is the implied function of the "i" icon), the details displayed are for the first available item, not the first selected item, which is very confusing. It would be less confusing if the details displayed were those of the first selected entry.

Best Regards, Lloyd.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Lloyd

There are 2 ways with the combos: The easiest way is you can enter anything you want directly in the combo field or select one from the dropdown list. This will be good for most cases. If you want to add more detailed information to the entry you have to add it first in the details window and then you can link this entry to a dive.

But you don't have to do this for every entry. For example, if you dive with someone in holiday and you only know the name of the person and you won't dive in future with him it would make no sense to add this buddy to the buddy detail list. Simply write his name to the box and it's OK. If you have some buddies you will dive often with them you can add them to the detail list.

But you are right with the display thing: If a dive is already linked with a detail entry it must be that this entry is displayed, and not the first one. I'll change this in the next update.

Kind regards,
Sven
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

Just had another look at these comboboxes.

It's rather strange that you can select a diving location that resides in more than one cities/island or country at all.

Normally a diving location doesn't move around and certainly doesn't change country (unless you define a vague diving location called sea or lake).

So personally i would like to see that the dialog for city/island allows me to select a Country and in the diving location dlg select a city (and thus select a country too.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

When you enter only the dive place name without using the details window (and link the name), it is not possible to find out in which country this place is, because there will be dive places with the same name in different cities or countries. Even the same dive place can be accessed from different cities / islands.

The only way to make this possible is to use the detail window and make sure that you use an unique name so you can identify this dive place with the right country. Not so easy this but I'll make some more thoughts about it.

Sven