Some customized layout changes do not persist

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
davidtaylor

Some customized layout changes do not persist

Post by davidtaylor »

I have made changes to my layout (name Layout1) - having changed a label (for example 'Max. Depth [m]' changes to 'Max depth'), and saved to a new name (Layout2). When I re-open the Dive Log, (and for confirmation go to Layout and use Open to select Layout2), the label changes are not made. If I move or add or delete a whole field, the changes persist.

To edit a label, I use 'customize', then click ABC on the red dialog area, make my change and click outside the red area and it persists. I then click Save in the Layout tab, and tell it the new (or old name) and am invited to overwrite, and say Yes.

Summary: I can change fields within the layout but cannot change the field labels.

What am I doing wrong?
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Some customized layout changes do not persist

Post by divinglog »

Hello

This is basically "by design" or in other words, there is no way to change the labels. Diving Log translates (for localization) all labels when the windows opens and after the layout is loaded. So your changes are overwritten by the localization function.
davidtaylor

Post by davidtaylor »

Thanks for your response - I wonder then what is the function of the 'Abc' button in the field customization dialog. All the other layout editing actions within this box can be used and the results saved. If it is by design that labels cannot change, it does beg the question, why include an editing possibility for them.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

That box is not created by me, it comes with the 3rd party layout control. So the layout control supports it, but the Diving Log localization function overwrites it. But renaming fields would be problematic anyways, as Diving Log relies on some fields. E.g. if someone would be renaming the maximum depth field to average depth, the whole SAC rate calculation would break which would be a support nightmare. A fully customizable logbook structure has a lot of drawbacks.
davidtaylor

Post by davidtaylor »

Understood, many thanks for the background.

As a typographer, a small suggestion for a future version: the colons following the labels are not needed, and the non-capitalisation of second and subsequent words in a label would be better European practice. In my opinion this would give a cleaner appearance.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi David

Thank you for the suggestions! Do you use the English UI language in Diving Log? Please note that there is no difference in Diving Log between UK and US English and English isn't my native language, so it is possible that there are some issues.