Customize Logbook Fields

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Hydrated

Customize Logbook Fields

Post by Hydrated »

I would like to know how to customize the logbook by adding additional drop down boxes.
First, What I am trying to accomplish is to add additional dive buddies to the same dive. Now it seems that I can only have one. I often dive as a group of three or more, and so far I have been adding these other to the comment tab.

Secondly, How do I create a similar box to that of the Equipment Fields for Marine Life?

I have tried to use the customize field, but I can't seem to see how to add a drop down box or if it is possible.
Thanks,
Hydrated
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Customize Logbook Fields

Post by divinglog »

Hello

You cannot add completely new fields, you can only choose the existing fields that are available (add or remove), because the database is the same for all users, so there would be no database field to store the data. There are also 10 customizable textfields, no dropdowns.

You can enter either more buddies directly into the buddy textbox, separated by a comma, or you can select more than one buddy from the buddy details window and link them to a dive:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1713

Marine life fields are currently not available, but this is something I want to add in the near future. For now, I recommend to add this to the comments field.

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Marine life yields, yes. High on my wishlist.

In the meantime, how does this sound as an alternative. I'm thinking use the Equipment capabilities to add items for fish species. I could prefix them with an "_" to keep together, add items as I encounter them, then in my logbook would only need check the box. Do you foresee any problems with this? Is there a limit to how many items i can add to Equipment?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You could do this, but you would have to update all dives when a marine life data table is added within the next few month. The number of equipment items is not limited, however the number of items you can check per dive. The "UsedEquip" field within the logbook table is limited to 255 characters. Each item has a numeric number separated by a comma, e.g. "1,5,25,103" (these are 4 checked items and 10 characters)