Com Port issues.....Again!

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
shortcuts

Com Port issues.....Again!

Post by shortcuts »

Trying to download recent dives fron Suunto Vyper to DL5 via Suunto downloader and Universal Downloader with the same issue.
I am only given the option of COMPort1. Both downloaders return COMPort not found and fail to download.
This is very frustrating as it seems to be an ongoing intermittent problem.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Com Port issues.....Again!

Post by divinglog »

What has changed? It sounds as it has worked before, so something must have changed. Please note, this is not a Diving Log problem. Diving Log does not create COM ports and does not contain drivers. Diving Log can only use the existing COM ports. COM ports are created by drivers, so I guess the driver for this dive computer is not installed correctly.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

divinglog wrote:What has changed? It sounds as it has worked before, so something must have changed. Please note, this is not a Diving Log problem. Diving Log does not create COM ports and does not contain drivers. Diving Log can only use the existing COM ports. COM ports are created by drivers, so I guess the driver for this dive computer is not installed correctly.
You are correct in that it has worked before however I am unaware of anything having "changed". Certainly I haven't changed anything within the set up. At least not intentionally. Hence my frustration regarding this issue. Which driver are you suggesting isn't installed correctly? Suunto computer (Vyper) and/or Suunto cable or COM ports? I ask because I am lost on this issue.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

It appears you are correct and the driver had reverted to the old prolific (fake) one as per this previous post which was sorted out for me by tnt (gawd bless im :D )
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2418

Reinstalled the correct driver and all is now good to go with the correct COM port identified and dives successfully downloaded :D

Thanks'. Help is always appreciated.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I think it is maybe Windows Update which is installing the wrong driver over and over again. If you check Windows Update and see the wrong driver offered again, right click this update and hide it, so it doesn't get installed again. If you're on Windows 10, it is more difficult to prevent automatic driver installation.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

divinglog wrote:I think it is maybe Windows Update which is installing the wrong driver over and over again. If you check Windows Update and see the wrong driver offered again, right click this update and hide it, so it doesn't get installed again. If you're on Windows 10, it is more difficult to prevent automatic driver installation.
I am not on Win10 yet. Still waiting.
However I have windows update to install important updates automatically so unless it comes in as an optional update it will always just do it unsupervised. Bit of a bummer. I will have to look into that otherwise each time I have dives to download I will have to install the older driver prior each time! First world problem lol :x