Integrated cloud storage and multi device use?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
divezen

Integrated cloud storage and multi device use?

Post by divezen »

I've always read great things about your software and I LOVE the fact that it normalizes all the various odd dive manufacturer logging formats into a "defacto standard".

What I'm hoping you support, or plan on supporting is a way to get out of the syncing business.

Obviously you need to sync logs off your dive computer to somewhere (be it a PC, an iPhone, an Android, etc.)... but from there I'd love to not have to manually sync across devices.

I'd love cloud storage fully integrated.

From this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2215&p=10248&hilit=cloud#p10248, it looks like you support manually syncing your database across PCs with dropbox.

Is actually supporting a cloud backend in your plans (e.g. dropbox, onedrive, google drive, etc.)?

Thanks!

You could
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Integrated cloud storage and multi device use?

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you, I'm glad you like Diving Log! Beside uploading to several online logbooks, there is already support for Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive and OwnCloud available in Diving Log. You can use these services for upload, download, backup and syncing and you'll find them in the "Web" dropdown menu in the main toolbar.

But you have to initiate it manually and there is a reason for it. Doing a realtime fully automatic synchronization with conflict handling is really difficult and in some situations not possible. If you edit for example a logbook file on two different devices without syning in between, there will be defenitely sync conflicts. Diving Log is using a relational database where items are linked together with an unique ID. Doing edits on different devices without syncing can create different items with the same ID.

But if you want, you can make use of the fully automatic file based synchronization. Simply put your logbook file in one of the cloud storage folders on your PC and open it from there with Diving Log. All changes will be automatically synced between PC's by the cloud storage software.

Kind regards,
Sven