Download problems!

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
shortcuts

Download problems!

Post by shortcuts »

I have a new personal computer which is failing to download dives from my Suunto Vyper. My old PC had no problems. The 'Downloader' and the 'Suunto' downloader, although set to download by default from Port COM1 would search and eventually find the dive computer and download successfully. This new PC however, whilst still set by default to search Port COM1 immediately puts up a notice to say it cannot find Port COM1 and exits. No searching and no download of dives.
Can you please tell me how I get around this as Port COM1 is the default and there are no alternatives.
TnT

Re: Download problems!

Post by TnT »

Did you install the driver?
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

TnT wrote:Did you install the driver?
I assume so as I did a fresh install of the programme.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

When I attach the Suunto cable to a usb port on my PC with Device Manager open it comes up as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5)". However in Divelog both the Suunto downloader and the generic downloader COM5 is not an option for selection. Only Com1 is available.
Worked fine on my old PC (Win7). New PC is Win8.1
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Diving Log does not contain any drivers, but when it shows up in device manager, it will show up in Diving Log for sure. Make sure the "Bluetooth only" check box is not checked.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

divinglog wrote:Diving Log does not contain any drivers, but when it shows up in device manager, it will show up in Diving Log for sure. Make sure the "Bluetooth only" check box is not checked.
Bluetooth only is not checked but still refusing to download!
Whilst device manager is picking up that the Suunto cable is attached at Port COM5, both the generic and Suunto downloaders in DL5 only give the option of Port COM1. It doesn't search elsewhere and immediately shows an error that the port cannot be found and closes!
I have now reied the cable in each of 6 usb ports on my new win8 PC and there is not a Port COM1
So is thistelling me that I can no longer use DL to download and store my dives?
TnT

Post by TnT »

Can you post a screenshot of the device manager?
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

TnT wrote:Can you post a screenshot of the device manager?
TnT

Post by TnT »

The exlamation mark icon indicates the driver failed to load. That's why COM5 doesn't show up. You might be affected by the counterfeit chip detection that Prolific added to their driver. If that's the case, you'll need to find an old driver: http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake- ... o-install/
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

TnT wrote:The exlamation mark icon indicates the driver failed to load. That's why COM5 doesn't show up. You might be affected by the counterfeit chip detection that Prolific added to their driver. If that's the case, you'll need to find an old driver: http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake- ... o-install/
Please allow me to thank you very much for the time and effort you have clearly expended on my behalf. I was tearing my hair out over this. Your solution has fixed the issue perfectly :D
My issue now is that this is a brand new PC (DELL, 3 weeks old!) and not impressed that a fake/counterfeit chip has been installed! :x

Anyway, thanks' again. Much appreciated :D
TnT

Post by TnT »

The usb-serial chip is in the pc interface, not your brand new PC. If the cable worked fine before on an older PC, then most likely you had an older driver installed. And when moving to a new system, you installed the latest version, which happens to have that counterfeit check added.

Note that these countefeit chips are not "fake" chips. They DO work, but they are not made by Prolific. Probably cloned by some cheap chinese company. Most likely the manufacturer of the pc interface is not to blame here. They usualy don't by those chips directly from Prolific, but through some supplier. Before Prolific added that check to the driver, there was no way to detect them, and thus no one noticed. And now they're in use everywhere...
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

TnT wrote:The usb-serial chip is in the pc interface, not your brand new PC. If the cable worked fine before on an older PC, then most likely you had an older driver installed. And when moving to a new system, you installed the latest version, which happens to have that counterfeit check added.

Note that these countefeit chips are not "fake" chips. They DO work, but they are not made by Prolific. Probably cloned by some cheap chinese company. Most likely the manufacturer of the pc interface is not to blame here. They usualy don't by those chips directly from Prolific, but through some supplier. Before Prolific added that check to the driver, there was no way to detect them, and thus no one noticed. And now they're in use everywhere...
Seen. :D