Browser Units / Export to Webpage

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
sstone16

Browser Units / Export to Webpage

Post by sstone16 »

I just have two things that maybe somebody could help me with. First of all, when I click on the browser, the units are in Metric instead of Imperial...is there a way to change this, or is it a programming problem?

Also, I want to take my log and make a webpage out of it. I want to have a table of all of the dives, which u can click on, and it will give you a logbook like style page with the dive profile and the details. Is there an easy way to do this / could it be added in a future update?

Thanks alot,
Steve
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Steve

The imperial units in the browser are'n implemented at the moment, but I added this now on top of the list for the next update.

To create a website you have several ways:

First of all there is a html export which creates a very basic designed list of all dives, but without links and navigation. But you can edit this file like you want after export.

The second way is, you can use the MySQL export which creates a dump file which you can import into a webserver MySQL database. Now you are able to create a PHP based website which loads the data from the database. But this is not easy and you must have some PHP programming skills.

The next possibility is you select the print function in Diving Log, and choose "Export". You can select then in the field "Direct to..." the HTML Format. If you don't like the standard reports you can create in the designer your own reports which are more designed like a website.

And last but not least you can choose an already existing online logbook service. One example which is free and is able to import your data from Diving Log is http://www.divelogs.de. The problem is, the website is in German language, but maybe you find another online logbook in English. The divelogs.de website can import the UDCF format which can be exported in Diving Log. So this is the far most comfortable way to get your dives online. If you find another english website, please write me and I try to contact them if they are able to import the UDCF format.

I'm planning to make a better html export with templates in future, but I can't promise when this will be.

Sven
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

What is the current status of being able to publish Diving Log data onto a web site?

Specifically, has anyone already developed the PHP code to dispaly and manage an online log book based on your MySQL export option and made it available?

Can you provide links to any web sites already doing this?

Have you improved the HTML export feature since the previous post, and again, can you provide any links to web sites using it?

Are there any other ways of getting the dive log data onto my own web site. For example, something that already uses PHP and/or MySQL to display dive logs, which can accept one of the export/transfer formats you already support? Again, any links to web sites doing this?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Lloyd

Unfortunately there was no time so far to develop a PHP based logbook or a better HTML export. But I can give you 2 links where Diving Log users have a PHP based online logbook:

vanzandwijk.net
dusja.net

You can contact Olaf and Martijn and ask them for some tips and maybe scripts. I hope that this will help you a little bit.

Best regards,
Sven
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

Thanks Sven,

Olaf has already sent me his PHP files, and Mrtijn has promised to do so.

So hopefully I'll have something up and running soon.

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Great, it would be good if you add a link here to your online logbook when it's finish. :)
lloyd_borrett

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

One thing I can see looming as a problem with putting the dive logs online.

It seems Diving Logs stores the file pathname to any pictures.

Thus if I want to use the pictures online, I need to convert those file pathnames into full or relative URLs.

Any chance that Diving Log could let me specify a "Picture Export" pathname for each category of picture. Then the export function could have an option to convert picture file pathnames to URLs.

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You mean in the MySQL Dump Export function? Yes, this should be possible.