Problem with downloader and Suunto

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
SpiritOfPhotography

Problem with downloader and Suunto

Post by SpiritOfPhotography »

I used to download diving data from a Suunto D9 for many years, without problems. Since the last Divinglog Update, the universal downloader does not recognize the diving computer anymore:

Code: Select all

INFO: Open: name=COM5
ERROR: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden (2) [in serial_win32.c:152 (serial_open)]
ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in suunto_d9.c:151 (suunto_d9_device_open)]
I checked the COM port (it was unique and not in use by another device), and also tried to change the COM port, but still no access. Reading from my backup computer Mares Puck works with the same port.

After changing the port, I get this result in the error log:

INFO: Open: name=COM3
INFO: Configure: baudrate=9600, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=1, flowcontrol=0
INFO: Timeout: value=3000
INFO: DTR: value=1
INFO: Sleep: value=100
INFO: Flush: queue=3, input=0, output=0
INFO: Configure: baudrate=9600, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=1, flowcontrol=0
INFO: RTS: value=0
INFO: Write: size=4, data=0F00000F
INFO: Read: size=4, data=0F00000F
INFO: RTS: value=1
INFO: Read: size=0, data=
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in suunto_d9.c:268 (suunto_d9_device_packet)]
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in suunto_d9.c:268 (suunto_d9_device_packet)]
INFO: Configure: baudrate=115200, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=1, flowcontrol=0
ERROR: Failed to identify the protocol variant. [in suunto_d9.c:190 (suunto_d9_device_open)]
Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks!

Gernot
TnT

Re: Problem with downloader and Suunto

Post by TnT »

SpiritOfPhotography wrote:I checked the COM port (it was unique and not in use by another device), and also tried to change the COM port, but still no access. Reading from my backup computer Mares Puck works with the same port.
For usb-serial devices, COM ports are assigned dynamically. Usually the same device always gets the same number. So it's very unlikely that your Suunto device will receive the same port number as your Mares, because they use a completely different usb-serial chipset (ftdi vs prolific). I'm assuming you are using the offical cable here, and not one of the third-party ones.
SpiritOfPhotography wrote:After changing the port, I get this result in the error log:

Any idea what's going wrong?
This indicates the device doesn't respond. The most common causes for that are a bad connection (wet/dirty contacts), cable connected upside down (yes, this i possible with some cables), dive computer not in PC mode, and low battery. Especially the low battery issue is a very common source for download problems. Usually the PC mode requires more power than normal, so it's perfectly possible that there is still enough power left for diving, but not for the PC interface.
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html