using 2 computers (pc's)

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
hiway12

using 2 computers (pc's)

Post by hiway12 »

Purchased and installed DL5 on laptop. Download worked great from my Vyper Air. Entered notes, added fields to logbook ('Dive Center' didn't work so I used the 'Divemaster' field instead). Dives are sorted descending (latest dive first). Backed up to Dropbox. Everything is very great.

Installed DL5 on my desktop computer. Went to Dropbox, opened the .sql file (?) and things went bad. Scrambled my dive order, when I tried to sort, all dives renumbered (I knew it would do that but I was trying to take the easy way out). Sorting is ascending and I can't seem to change it. all my added fields have gone. Everything is back to default.

there should be a way to put the right file up on Drive or Dropbox, open it on whatever pc you have DL5 installed on, edit and save it back to whatever cloud you're using.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: using 2 computers (pc's)

Post by divinglog »

Hi

If you do it that way, this cannot happen:

- Use the "Dropbox" sync function from the "Web" toolbar menu to export your existing logbook to Dropbox
- Wait until the sync is completed by the Dropbox app
- Go to the other PC, start Diving Log and create a new, empty logbook
- Open the Dropbox sync function and click "Download"

That way it will work and nothing can go wrong. I don't know what happened exactly in your case, but normally you should have the correct logbook still on your 1st PC? Do not try to open the .sql file directly with Diving Log (that's not possible anyways).

The dive order is determined by the dive numbers, so that cannot get scrambled as long as you don't change the numbering. You can change the sort order in the settings "File > Preferences", but that is just for display. If you renumber your logbook ("Sort Logbook"), this is permanent.

What do you mean with "All added fields are gone"? Do you mean the logbook layout? This is not stored in your logbook file, so you have to copy the logbook layout from the "Documents\Diving Log\Layouts" folder to the other PC and open the layout over there. The fields are not gone, they are just not displayed yet (the data is still there).

You can also store the logbook database (.mdb) directly in your Dropbox and open it from there (File > Open Logbook). But make sure Diving Log is running only on one PC at a time to avoid any conflicts in this case.

Let me know if you have still problems with your data.

Kind regards,
Sven