DiveMate USB

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
JonOrt

DiveMate USB

Post by JonOrt »

While I'm at it - I also use DiveMate USB while I'm travelling. I have been using the DropBox integration to get the logs moved between the DL5 and DiveMate. It works well other than the fact that DL5 appears to remove all gallery pictures from the logs. It doesn't remove the link though so DiveMate gives "Image not found" on the log screen for each missing image. Can the image be included/not included as an option? I could understand wanting to strip them if the device has limited memory or you have large pictures.

Jon
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: DiveMate USB

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jon

Diving Log usually links just images and stores only a small version in the database itself due to size constraints. Pictures added to your dives are only linked and not stored at all in the database, so during sync these images won't get transferred to your phone. But nothing is deleted, it's just that the images are missing.

Howevery you can copy the images manually to your phone and DiveMate can display some of them. You can ask the developer about the exact location to make that work.

Kind regards,
Sven
JonOrt

Post by JonOrt »

That explains what I am seeing. I would love to see an option to save the image into the log database. I move the database between machines and my pictures are not available all the time. This also means that I can't scan the signature areas of my paper logs for verification as I had planned as they won't move with the computer logs... bummer.

I love the program though... tried it for a few days and purchased it. I tried a number of other apps but I liked the wide range of import and export abilities. I don't want want my logs locked in. It has been a pain getting everything out of SmartTrack properly (BTW DL5 is the only app that seemed to be able to do it without any hitches). And I've been spending a fair amount of time on the log book designer. I can get out just want I want for paper backups. Very nice.

So here is a vote for allowing the option of embedding the images into the database itself. Maybe an option on a per picture/dive/log or whatever basis.

Jon
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jon

It is not possible to store a large amount of images in full resolution in the database. The file would get very large and slow, backups would be slow and emailing the file impossible. Access database files are not suitable to store large binary data. I already get logbook files from users which are 20 MB and more, which is really the limit for email.

Just keep your photos inside your Dropbox and they will sync automatically to your device and DiveMate can access them. Ask the DiveMate author for the correct folder structure. When you add photos in Diving Log, just select the files in your local Dropbox folder.

Kind regards,
Sven