Joining two or more dives into one

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
PioM

Joining two or more dives into one

Post by PioM »

Is it possible to join one or more dives into one? This would happen if computer divide dive into two or more, cause of descending to a surface and stay there for few minutes.
PioM

Re: Joining two or more dives into one

Post by PioM »

OK, I found solution There is expected functionality in 'Logbook', under 'Profile' tab (Merge Profile) :)
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

I need to use this once in a while. Very handy.

But i noticed one thing.

When it joins the two dives together, it literally splices the ends of the two profiles together.

Would it also be possible to have the option for it to merge them but maintaining the 'time-in' of the second profile, so the time-out at the very end is correct.
The gap in the surface interval, where there is no profile data, can just be assumed to be zero meters.

This would be nice when the gap between the dives is a marginally longer than the 'Dive Mode time-out' of the dive computer.

Also, is there any times stated for the Surface Interval whereby it is then considered the start of the second dive? Often wondered this. I'm guessing it's a gray area as it's not really that important.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. The time-out is always a calculated value. It is entry time + dive time. When joining 2 dives, the entry time + the accumulated dive time is the new time-out field value.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

If the x-axis was actually the time of day, rather than just the dive time... so the first dive would start say at 08:00, but then i popped up after 30 minutes, at 08:30 for 10 minutes... then went back down, at 08:40, for another 20 minutes, so i surface again at 09:00.
When merging these two dives, the dive time (time underwater) would still be the calculated 30+20=50 minutes, but the dives would end 60 minutes after the first descent. and the surface interval gap would be 10 minutes. The profile would then show this.

At the moment, the profiles are spliced together, and with my OSTC (which has a 4 minutes dive mode time-out) it'd show 4 minutes of 'surface' profile after the first ascent, before the next descent starts, so the dive profile would indicating it ending after 54 minutes, at 08:54.
I think(?) that with my Suunto, it trims the profiles, so the second descent would show immediately after the first ascent, with no gap. Correct????

I.e. the gap would represent the time i actually spent on the surface.
Connfused still?????? :lol:
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thanks, now I understand. Makes sense, however there has to be a safety threshold, otherwise this function would generate a huge profile when users merge accidentally 2 dives with long surface interval, e.g. from 2 different days.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

divinglog wrote:Thanks, now I understand. Makes sense, however there has to be a safety threshold, otherwise this function would generate a huge profile when users merge accidentally 2 dives with long surface interval, e.g. from 2 different days.
Yes indeed. It would make for quite a boring profile eh! :-D
You could have "Are you sure you want to merge these dives with over 1 hour surface interval?"
And "Sorry, the Surface Interval is too long to merge with the Maintain Time-In/Time-Out option set" Set at whatever the value is that causes an unreasonable profile size...
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Hi again.

Have you had a chance to look at this option at all?

The kind of diving i do here is often leaving me with two dives that i'd like merging, and the lack of the time gap is really annoying...

Is there any way of fudging the profiles as a workaround in the mean time?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, I've looked at it and there are a few things to think about. What about the other profile data like temperature, CNS, OTU, tank pressure, etc? While it is obvious that the depth is zero during surface interval, other data might change during a surface interval. So there are two options:

I can add just zeros to all profile data during the surface interval, indicating that no data was recorded by the dive computer. Or I could repeat the last data value until the recording starts again, which would result in a flat line. In any way, I'm generating here fictional dive computer data, which was neither measured, recorded or calculated.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, I've uploaded a new beta version where this function is implemented. Please download this update and extract it into the Diving Log program folder. Please test this feature and let me know how it works. The surface interval will be only added if it is less than 60 minutes.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Ooooh exciting!
Gonna test it now...........
CheeseAndJamSandwich

There seems to be a simple mistake/bug.
The 'time-in' for the second dive, when merged, is placed at the 'time-out' or the second time... so the interval between the dives is waaaay longer.
The two dives merged...
The two dives merged...
merged.PNG (64.73 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
Just the second dive, showing the time-in...
Just the second dive, showing the time-in...
unmerged second.PNG (69.2 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
Also,
The Dive Time, is the total time from the time-in of the first profile, to the time-out of the second... so 74 mins in this example... It should be about 35 minutes... the time spend underwater....
Am i correct in thinking that normally DL adjusts this... my previous dives when i've been briefly on the surface, the dive time was shortened...

I appreciated you working on this btw!
Rich.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hello

I'm not sure if I understand the bug correctly. Diving Log calculates the surface interval like that:

TimeIn2 - (TimeIn1 + DiveTime1)

It's the time between end of dive 1 and beginning of dive 2. this time will be added to the dive profile. Can you show me how dive 1 looked before the merging?

Regarding your 2nd question: Yes, the dive time is adjusted and the surface interval is added to it. When your dive computer would not exit the dive mode, the surface time would be added to the dive time, too.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

On the merged profile, the surface interval is huge! tho it was only a few minutes in reality...

I imagine that there could be another x-axis, showing time of day... the second profile will be position such that its time-in is correctly placed at the correct time.

Time in of the first profile (that's just the short dive of 5-6 minutes) = 14:17
Time in of the second profile (Which is 29 minutes long) = 14:33
So there should just be a surface interval of about 10 minutes... not the 40 minutes shown.
I've cut and pasted the second profile roughly into it's correct position...  The red line is the cut...
I've cut and pasted the second profile roughly into it's correct position... The red line is the cut...
Edited.png (92.6 KiB) Viewed 11384 times

2nd question again: I'm confused... The profiles previously were adjusted such that the dive time was just the time underwater??? (My OSTC infamously adds 4 minutes of surface to the end of every profile, but the dive times shown here in DL were correctly showing just the time underwater.) And other profiles i've merged the old way did also correctly adjust the dive time to show the time underwater, (even though they had this crazy 4 minutes added,which showed on the profile between the dives, even when the surface time was longer than the 4 mins)

Ideally i just want it to report the time underwater, like it's shown before, but isn't with the new merging method.
The dive time shows 74 minutes, but should show about 35.

This is an older dive with my OSTC...
This is showing the correct, adjusted dive time, subtracting the 2 minutes we spent on the surface in the cave.
This is showing the correct, adjusted dive time, subtracting the 2 minutes we spent on the surface in the cave.
profile with surface time and correct dive time.PNG (78.93 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
I don't think it is a merged profile, but it shows you correctly reporting the dive time.
(Shame the images don't show full width when clicked! doh!)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Please send me a logbook file with the 2 original dives you're trying to merge, then I can debug this.

No, the dive time was not adjusted in the past. Diving Log just summarized both dive times and added it to the first dive. Now the surface interval is also added. Any dive time adjustment is done by the dive computer.