Problem using Skydrive

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
davidtaylor

Problem using Skydrive

Post by davidtaylor »

First I used DropBox as the sync mechanism to link to my WinPhone. No problem. Then I realised that there would be a benefit for me to using SkyDrive, but as soon as I hit the Web/Skydrive button I get the attached error ( and similar error messages if I say Continue and try the links on the Skydrive import/export window that follows).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.42 KiB) Viewed 7943 times
All other Web buttons work OK.

I thought at first this was because I had moved the location of my logbook.mdb but I moved it back to [user]/documents/Divelog and still get the skydrive errors.

So two questions please:
- is it permitted to move the divelog folder to another location
- what is going wrong with my SkyDrive link.

thanks
David
davidtaylor

Re: Problem using Skydrive

Post by davidtaylor »

I later uninstalled and reinstalled Diging Log to see if it helped.

Q1- my PC's SkyDrive target location has been changed from the default (Win8.1 allows this easily). The reinstall of DL5 did not help. I suspect maybe Diving Log expects to find SkyDrive at the default place. Cannot see a way to configure this.

Q2- My mistake was to move the whole folder not just the db file. I now think that you can move the logbook.mdb file to any location you like and it will work, but you must not move or delete the Diving Log folder that the application installs into [user]/documents/Diving Log. If you do, then although you can add dives and details perfectly well, templates and layouts (and possibly other things) will not work, as they must see the Diving Log folder in the original place.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi David

Please download this update and extract it into the Diving Log program folder. This should fix the crash, but on Windows 8.1 there still might be a problem finding the SkyDrive folder. Let me know if SkyDrive sync works for you now.

You can move the logbook database file to any location you want, but you cannot move or rename the "Diving Log" folder in the Windows Documents folder at the moment. This folder has to stay there for templates and the other files included there.

Kind regards,
Sven
MatzeP

Post by MatzeP »

Thanks divinglog for the update - for me it is working now
MikadoWu

Post by MikadoWu »

Sven,

I was having the same problem as above. I applied your fix and Now it is asking me to install SkyDrive. I am using Win 8.1, I did follow your other instructions about making available offline.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Micheal
Attachments
divinglogerror1.jpg
divinglogerror1.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Michael

In Windows 8.1 Microsoft unfortunately removed the SkyDrive functionality, when you are using a local account instead of a Microsoft account for login into Windows. Diving Log currently relies on the SkyDrive app and thus this doesn't work anymore with a local account.

There are 2 workarounds if you use a local account: You can use the SQLite export function in the export section and upload the file manually to SkyDrive (OneDrive) with a webbrowser. Or you sync locally to the Diving Log Touch app from the Store and use the build-in SkyDrive function to upload from there.

I really hope that Microsoft enables SkyDrive again with a local account in the future, otherwise I have to find a way to integrate an upload function right into Diving Log.

Kind regards,
Sven
MikadoWu

Post by MikadoWu »

Hey Sven,

Thank you for the quick reply. I was able to correct this problem, while looking through your threads, I found one about moving folders. I forgot that I relocated my SkyDrive to another location. Once I moved it back, it started working again.

I went ahead an purchased the WP APP this weekend while diving of the coast of Tampa, love 4g in the middle of the ocean. :)

I wanted to say thank you for all your hard work, and will be picking up the desktop version on payday.

Micheal
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you very much! :)
AntAUT

Post by AntAUT »

Windows 8.1 and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) still have issues with OneDrive sync on local account - or - with different accounts on the two devices (which is most likely). It would be nice to have a LogIn page where one could just say what account DivingLog shall use to post the update-files to?

When manually uploading the SQLite file (even though that works) one should/must also manually change the DivelogSync.XML file to keep updated on when and where the last changes happened... not really funny.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, an integrated upload function would be nice and is something I want to add in the future.