What do symbols at top of Profile mean?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
narked

What do symbols at top of Profile mean?

Post by narked »

What do the symbols at the top of the dive profile mean? Some I can figure out, but not all of them.
Attachments
DiveLogSymbols.PNG
DiveLogSymbols.PNG (1.83 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: What do symbols at top of Profile mean?

Post by divinglog »

From left to right:

- Depth under the mouse cursor
- Time under the mouse cursor
- Actual profile depth at the X-position of the mouse cursor
- Average depth of this dive
- Surface Air Consumption
Pawlu

Post by Pawlu »

I have been trying to understand the symbol calculations for a while now but they simply do not add up. I have attached an example to try and explain my lack of understanding:
Dive Log 5 Profile example1.PNG
Dive Log 5 Profile example1.PNG (24.12 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
As you can see in the screen capture we have two points, the one circled in red is the intersecting vertical point of the mouse cursor while the one circled in black is the actual X position of the mouse (crosshairs).

In my screenshot the crosshairs indicates a depth of 20.13ft, which closely matches the first symbol "Depth under the mouse cursor" while the third symbol "actual profile depth at the X-position of the mouse cursor" is showing 12.01ft. When in fact, according to my understanding the depth should read 14 feet and not 12.01ft.

I would really like to understand how this is being calculated, especially the 3rd symbol (black down arrow above the blue line".

THank you.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

It's the nearest profile point in the profile, which is a little to the right at 12 feet in the image. In your case, it looks like you have a rather long profile interval of 30 seconds between points. So here the 3rd value is only correct if your cursor is exactly at full or half minutes, not in between. Most newer dive computers record at 2 or 4 seconds, so this is barely noticable. But at 30 seconds and short dives like the one you've shown, the distance between the points is large.

Edit: I just looked again at your picture and it looks like the displayed value is actually offset by 1 profile point. I have to check if this is a display or calculation bug.
Pawlu

Post by Pawlu »

I dive using the Suunto Zoop, I can check to see what the default interval recording is on these computers. In the meantime please let me know what discover.

Thanks
Pawlu

Post by Pawlu »

It does use a 30second data recording interval for the internal logbook, I do not see an option to change this anywhere.

Quote from manual:
"This instrument has a very sophisticated high capacity Logbook and Profile Memory,
with a data recording interval of 30 seconds. Dives shorter than the recording interval
are not registered."