Download Errors Through Fusion

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
ianr

Download Errors Through Fusion

Post by ianr »

Hi,

I'm using Diving Log on my Mac through Fusion 5 and regularly have difficulty getting my usb dongle to be detected and work but have put this down to a combination of the dongle and running it through a virtual machine. However, no I just seem to get a 'Error: DC_STATUS_NOMEMORY' error whenever I try to run the Uwatec Smart downloader with my Galileo Luna.

Any ideas? Is this a diving log issue or VM/USB dongle?

Cheers

Ian
TnT

Re: Download Errors Through Fusion

Post by TnT »

Can you enable the "Log errors" checkbox, and then when the download fails, click the "Show error logfile" link to open the error log? Then send me this file. You can find my email address on the libdivecomputer website.
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Ian

You can try to ask Greg from More Mobile Software. He runs Diving Log also on a Mac in VMware and has an Uwatec computer. I think the irda interface is often a problem on Mac OS and not every irda dongle can be used.

Cheers,
Sven
ianr

Post by ianr »

Tnt, I cannot get the error logging to work. I think it is failing before the logging begins. I tried increasing the memory allocated to the VM with no change.

I'm in contact with Greg as suggested by Sven and he is talking me through a few options.

Cheers

Ian
TnT

Post by TnT »

The libdivecomputer consumes very little memory (usually at maximum a few 100kB), so I have no idea how you manage to get the DC_STATUS_NOMEMORY error, especially before the logging is initialized (which only need about 4kB of memory). If your system is really that low on memory, I suspect divinglog wouldn't even start.

Anyway, try running the smart.exe commandline application to generate the logfile. You can download it here: http://www.libdivecomputer.org/builds/windows/smart.exe
ianr

Post by ianr »

Hi TnT,

This is what I get when I connect the USB Dongle and try to run the download:

[0.000] DATETIME 2013-05-17T08:25:18Z (1368779118)
[0.000] VERSION 0.5.0-devel (3c8ea2c33ce2747cf7308450af7d14dac5bb52c9)
[0.000] uwatec_smart_device_open
[1.263] DEBUG: getsockopt: rc=0, size=4, errno=0
[3.541] DEBUG: getsockopt: rc=0, size=4, errno=0
[5.382] DEBUG: getsockopt: rc=0, size=4, errno=0
[7.644] DEBUG: getsockopt: rc=0, size=4, errno=0
[9.922] DEBUG: getsockopt: rc=0, size=4, errno=0
[9.922] ERROR: No dive computer found. [in ../../source/src/uwatec_smart.c:186 (uwatec_smart_device_open)]
[9.922] ../../source/examples/uwatec_smart_test.c:44: Cannot open device.
[9.922]
SUMMARY
[9.922] -------
[9.922] test_dump_memory: Input/output error

I'm guessing from the log file that it simply isn't connecting via the IrDa device.

Cheers

Ian
TnT

Post by TnT »

This means the IrDA socket is opened successfully, but no device is found during the device discovery. So the application doesn't "see" the dive computer and thus can't initiate the connection. Are you sure you have "attached" the USB Dongle to the virtual machine, and not the host system? Usually Windows will also show a notification if a device is discovered. Do you get anything like that?